Tuesday 25 September 2012

Why Baukjen is a girl crush

It has taken me an age to get around to reviewing the re branding of what was the Isabella Oliver 365 collection. Now clearly and rightly under the name of Baukjen ( see pic above) the wonderful designer and brains behind the collection, the brand has moved on.The most important element of Baukjen is the continuation of the gorgeous use of jersey and simplicity of design that befits a modern woman. But who is this modern woman?

After all not only do I (as a modern woman) have an eclectic taste when it comes to fashion.music, films and men but it seems that extends to women too. Why in the last few days I have admired Rihanna, Gwen Stefani and then last night  it was right back into that long standing girl crush - Nigella. Having met Nigella in real life I can only say tv doesn't do her justice. A scripted, nicely produced half hour programme on BBC2 gives only a glimmer of her beauty and does nothing to deliver her intellect. Nigella has it all brains and beauty and sadly a dose of poignancy with the the lose of her mother, sister and husband. If you ask me Charles Saatchi is a very lucky man. It seems I am not alone in my Nigella crush she seems to transcend notions of everything and is much admired by all.

That point brings me back nicely to Baukjen. For Baukjen is an offering that equally transcends notions of 'trends' and delivers fashion of taste and style that merely nods to the directions. I have lost count of how many times at the school gate I get asked for an emergency dress solution by a mum. Yes it is the peril of being a stylist and fashion writer but nine times out of ten I offer up a Baukjen dress. The caveat is that it is understated and can be worn and worn again. Baukjen is not selling obvious glamour or screaming from the roof tops 'look at me'. There is something relaxed and even coy about the collection. In addition it does basics and keeps a core offering which is a joy in this day. It's modernity is perfect and deservign of a girl crush.

However, I am not so smitten with Nigella that I cannot fault her. There are probably some matters I could take issue with her on but I am sure she would charm me so it is pointless to begin. Baukjen has a few faults but they are only a few. Firstly it is a joy that this season's sequin collection is called 'Kate'. For one moment my ego hoped it was after me, after all my sequin love and wearing is well known by Baukjen but then I crashed back down to earth when I realised I wasn't even invited to the launch party! Luckily I love the clothes too much to engage in a Boden style strop of old. Although for those of you who have asked lately, no I have never forgiven Burberry for their manufacturing closures in the UK and particularly in Wales.

You can reject my first misgiving, which leaves but two issues to address. Sometimes the lengths are wrong. Often I think the dresses and skirts are too short. So the discrepancy here is who is the short skirt length Baukjen modern woman? Does the collection span all ages and taste and therefore does it work in respect of sales. I would just like to see some of the more casual dresses particularly in the summer being that bit longer as I worry about flashing my knickers when I bend over. The winter is not an issue with tights and wanting to show bare legs of an evening in high heels Maybe my concern is just an age thing but I think two length options is worth considering to facilitate more sales.

My final gripe is purely a stylist's view - what is it with the grey marl tights! The fashion editing and styling is very good and it is not often I thing 'nah' to the lovely Baukjen catalogues. But boy have the pairing of those tights with knee high black boots and short skirts been annoying me. It blights what is otherwise an effortless style romp - #justsaying. Really my concerns are minor when compared to the long lists I usually devise for a brand when I'm on one. And sometimes as a stylist you forget to translate what your eye is seeing to print. I have delivered many a 'look' that with hindsight didn't really translate in the way I envisaged.

Given I could buy most of the collection I am hard pressed to give you a top 5 but here goes.  And if you haven't got a girl crush on Baukjen yet then these will make sure you do!













9 comments:

  1. I love Nigella too. Love your choices as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you and I have already discussed the collection (and the launch party) in great detail, like you I have always been a huge fan of the brand and have always advertised it on my blog and like you(again)suggest the brand to friends/bloggers etc on many occasions but I also worry about the length of some of the garments for women of a certain age who I thought were the brands demographic, it makes them unwearable for me. I am still lusting after last years leather skirt, the length is better but even on sale I still can't afford it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a terror hey! Wouldn't let it lie but I was miffed as would have been nice to have been invited as a bottom line. Moving on the length thing is an issue but it isn't only Buakjen that gets its wrong Boden do too as does M&S with limited collection etc. We've all moved on from the leggings things!!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Great picks Kate and I for one would name a sequin number after you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my dear-loving the everyday maxi dress and the sequin jacket is fab too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me can't resist a sequin number! xx

      Delete
  5. Wow, The blog is really amazing, The pic's are beautiful, You are doing best, Like this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the knee high black suede boots the Baukjen models are wearing. Does anyone have any idea as to where they are from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fraid not but I do think if you contacted them they would say x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx