Wednesday 27 June 2012

Lifestyle buying (Part 3) The Look

Often the easiest way to create a supper stylish you is to achieve a look. Call it a signature style or simply your preferred mode of dressing. Having a fashion house or someone you consider a style icon who inspires you makes it easier to buy your wardrobe. If you know what you want to achieve it cuts out a lot of faffing around looking because you can edit out everything that doesn't fit into how you want to dress.

The first objection most people make is based on their body shape. We get told to dress to our best assets and accentuate our curves or create curves. Frankly does it really matter. Dress to please yourself, dress to be happy and then whatever your wear will look good. The first point of having a look is to not compare or contrast. I used to scream every time Gok put a belt on someone 'to nip in your waist'. Maybe she doesn't want or need it to be nipped in I would exclaim!

So when Mrs Bossa siad she wanted to achieve Marni-esque style but was worried about certain body parts I said fear not. Marni is all about playing with shape and boldness is all that is required. No need to worry about nipped in waists. This is about as nipped in waist Marni get...from the Resort 13 collection

Marni Resort 2013

Here is a sample of Marni from the last few collections.

 A/W12
 S/S12
A/W11
all images Style.com

The point is the look has some consistent elements. Ankle socks with shoes (ditto Prada), elbow length sleeve cuts, bold cuts or prints or both. Shapes are deconstructed or unsymmetrical in finish. Yet a lot of the work is done for you as the cut is clever, sharp and creates a look.
Now I realise you are not going to be able to dress head to toe in Marni or who you preferred designer is not merely because of price but we all like to inject a bit of personality. So what are the key elements to achieve the Marni vibe.

Well you can look back through the Marni shows on Style.com to pick out what you like and then source similar in high street stores. COS is an excellent choice as the aesthetics aren't dissimilar. But key items do make the Marni look - the bold details whether in the clothing, the accessories or the shoes. 


Add some lilac ankle socks..... ( or pale blue or grey if you prefer)


A pair of sandals ...



Finish the look with a bold necklace....


And there you have it! The necklace and the shoes are pieces that will work with lots of dresses or tops and skirt combos. Think 7/8 trousers length for Marni as again the ankle sock and shoe are the real feature!! If you've got a look that you'd like to create and need my tips then tweet me MrsMDS@MakeDoStyle

11 comments:

  1. Oh my god Kate I LOVE this! I am very fond of this dress, of course, but the lilac socks would never have occurred to me. You're a gem. Thank you for pushing my envelope! ;) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow always needs something to take the attention away methinks - I love that dress too, tres tempted xx

      Delete
    2. They come up large - just to warn you! Also the yellow is acid rather than buttercup - but I think you could probably get away with it... the question now is: do I dare risk dyeing it?! Xx

      Delete
  2. I totally agree. Dressing "for your body shape" (AKA to make your body shape look exactly like everyone elses using a belt, spanx and a padded bra) is NOT a personal style! A personal style needs... well... STYLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pointless! I call it being Goked and it truly scares me xx

      Delete
  3. Great advice on making dressing/buying easy. Love that necklace and I am off out to purchase said ankle socks lol OK so maybe not at my age .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miuccia still wears them & she is how old!! xx

      Delete
  4. I wish I had a "look" - so my life could be simpler :)
    I am trying to edit my closet at this very moment, one garment at a time.
    I am one to try new things in a very conservative way (if it makes any sense) -
    I tried the ankle socks and looked so bad i dared not leave the house !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ankle socks are tricky to pull off but there is a knack to wearing them but there is no point if you don't feel the love or hate the look. xx

      Delete
  5. I like the third picture and the women with a black bags, that's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love their dress! :) I hope someday I can wear also those outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx