Thursday 25 October 2012

Poppy Power

Progress isn't always a good thing but sometimes it most definitely is, especially in the case of wearing poppies in honour of soldiers. As start of the First World War nearly a century ago approaches the danger of history is the lessons of the past are no longer drawn upon. The Royal British Legion has to battle it out with other 'good' causes and many due to the whys of recent wars some of us struggle to find the relevance.

Lets not forget the reality of humankind is that our progress is faltering in many departments but the fallen, the injured, the widowed and the children still rely on the Poppy Appeal to provide welfare for serving and ex-service people from across all the Armed Forces.

Sometimes fashion really does lend a helping hand with the advent of the poppy as a piece to wear with pride and style during the Poppy Appeal run up to Armistice Day on November 11th. I've already bought mine and as well as donating by buying the poppy to wear with ease, I also happily donate my lose change to the collection tins.

I bought my poppy from aptly named Poppy Sparkles for £9.00 including UK postage the poppies can be brought from Viv or via her Etsy shop.

On the high street Marks and Spencer are 'bedazzling' us with their Diamanté Encrusted Remembrance Day Poppy Brooch £15  - this is a real wow poppy that I need for night time. Currently it is the easiest way to transform your day to night look! The M&S diamanté brooches are available in stores and online.





10 comments:

  1. I venture into Marks & Sparks this year to pick mine up! Had trouble last year finding any sellers. Always wear mine with pride :)

    Jen x
    http://kitsch-n-sync.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good - I hope to see lots of fashion statements made with poppies this year! xx

      Delete
  2. I need to get mine, haven't seen any for sale anywhere as yet but I don't get out much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they start this weekend in earnest - I love my one from Poppy Sparkles and am getting the M&S one tomorrow xx

      Delete
  3. I like a sparkly poppy! That's nice!

    I remember poppies being sold in New York when I was a child but haven't seen them in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous poppies and such a wonderful tradition. The official Poppy Appeal was the other day so you might see more poppy sellers in your local areas. xx http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/PopStarsLaunchPoppyAppeal2012.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a former naval wife, I too make a point in wearing a poppy every year. It's such a worthwhile cause. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work for the Legion (very happy days!) and I remember in my interview being hesitant as I had always been opposed to the invasions of Afghan and Iraq. My future boss dived in and straight away said "I don't care what you think about the current wars we're involved in. Right or wrong doesn't come into it. It's about the government sending people over and then forgetting about them when they're no longer useful. That's why we exist" and how right he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the point isn't it - people, looking after people so thank you for your comment, it reassures me a lot xx

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the lovely blog feature. I really appreciate you sharing my handmade Remembrance Day Poppies with your readers and am so pleased that you love your poppy. Thank you, Viv x

    www.poppysparkles.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx