Wednesday 12 October 2011

Your so 'vein'

Yesterday I was a very brave person. I went all on my tod to the London Clinic to have day surgery to removes a couple of veins from my legs. Today I'm bandaged to the hilt like Nora Batty. It is not a good look. However tomorrow later in the day, 48 hours after the surgery I can take off the bandages and wear compression stockings for 2 weeks. Luckily the stockings are black and I can get away with them as leggings or tights. No one will know with some clever dressing.

It was severe discomfort that led me to have them taken out. I am so quite vain so on the plus side I feel a sense of relief as well. Not that I ever let the veins on the back of my legs stop me flaunting bare legs but I took measures to disguise the worst one on my right leg. And at times when the combination of heat and humidity exasperated the vein I preferred to hide it. It has taken years for me to do anything about it. Mainly because the NHS no longer undertake such procedures. Well from my research I deduced they were non essential surgery and therefore most health authorities have dispensed with addressing varicose or protruding veins.

Luckily Mr MDS has medical cover through work and I was able to be referred to a vascular surgeon by my GP and hence my operation. Prior to the operation I was able to ask my consultant a number of questions on how women get varicose veins and the bottom line is they are hereditary. No amount of leg crossing, leg shaving, standing on your legs etc. will be a factor in the likelihood of a varicose or protruding vein. For years I thought was it my job, there is a lot of standing up and around as a stylist. Have I crossed my legs too much? Did my half marathon running make it worse and the answer to all these questions is no. The fact my paternal grandmother had varicose veins and the fact my mother has a protruding vein and a visible vein but not a varicose vein, has given me the varicose vein on my right leg and the protruding vein on my left leg. Having this predisposition increased the chance of me getting the vein issue on my legs.

Once I knew that I could have the surgery done I thought why not! My vanity kicked in. The fear of the procedure was overcome not by the realisation that my legs wouldn't ache any more, but that the veins would be gone!

My arrival was all very straightforward (train & tube worked well) and I had time to to go Marylebone High St for a copy of Grazia. I had to fast so no sneaky coffee or breakfast was allowed. I was shown into a cubicle to get my surgery look sorted!

I'm sure only a stylist could in the midst of a hospital procedure think about the recent S/S12 collections. I was struck by the colour of my dressing gown and the print of the gown, plus my small size hospital slippers of both Prada and Marni's S/S12 collection... or more specifically the pale blue colour and it's pairing with red or yellow.






It cheered me up anyway before my impending day surgery! Of course the cut of the gown is not a fashion statement (I had to do it up myself so I made sure I did bows at the back!) but I'm really looking forward to S/S12 now as I felt Prada, Marni, Chanel and Louis Vuitton delivered a wealth of inspiration to create great looks. I feel the injection of pale blue as a summer coat or skirt is going to have to be a must.

And yes the op went fine. I was hard core and opted for minimal sedation, i.e. just a heavy painkiller with an oxygen mask. Again all I could think was how good oxygen was for the skin and nodded enthusiastically when offered it. I knew what was going on and could tell what was being done but I mainly busied my mind with what outfit to wear given the compression tights situation for our wedding anniversary meal at Le Caprice. It is amazing how thinking through wardrobe options can keep you occupied for an hour and a half of surgery.

It is 4 miles a day walks for me now and a bit of discomfort after yesterday which will pass as it all heals.

18 comments:

  1. I need to know everything about the results, I have two veins which bother me (more for vanity than the ache which is only occasional)and I have been wondering what to do about them. The walking will make you loose inches (unless you already walk so far each day?)ps my daughter is going to Le Caprice for tea tomorrow evening for an early birthday treat (she of the Shisha smoke ring photo) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my dear-wishing you a swift and healthy recovery, glad the procedure went well. I loved your H&M post, the collection is lovely and are the most covetable ethical designs I've seen. Hope your skirt and cardi are as good as they look, outfit pics soon please xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Wishing you a speedy recovery and years of rocking short skirts. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vix - my thinking too!! Hope to be flashing some leg at 70 - don't see why not xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, you brave thing. I don't think I could lie there knowing what was going on. Wishing you a speedy recovery! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody hell you are so brave! I would have been screaming and crying and would have to have someone to hold my hand! i can not believe your operation attire had you thinking of ss12 collections. Only you, only you .........

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are funny. I love your surgery outfit. My mum had this done years ago then my she was pregnant with my youngest sister and had to walk 3 miles a day. My youngest sis is the fittest and sportiest of us all. Wonder if all the walking had an effect? Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a funny lady and amazing you could focus on Fashion rather than a scary op and stay WIDE AWAKE for it! I agree the colour combo is pretty hot x hope you make a good recovery, try and take things easy so not to undo the surgeons good work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm so glad it's over and you're already on the mend. So funny, you thinking about fashion in the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post and of course your bright yellow socks :)

    -Jani
    www.funfashionfit.com
    www.foottraffic.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm laughing about the bows on the back because I know that you do excellent bows!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking about future outfits is indeed an excellent way to while away the time, I do it whenever I can't sleep (quite a lot). Hope you heal up quickly xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Makedo-- I also have a genetic predisposition for veins. I have lots of broken veins and USED TO have one proper varicose vein in the making-- sometimes it would protrude, sometimes it wouldn't. Why do I speak as though the issue is in the past? Well, I think i've solved the problem sans surgery: every few months I get a blast of acupuncture. So if you see another raising its head in the next few years, try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the fact you could take comfort in fashion during your treatment, hope you are recovering well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Annemarie - thank you for that I do love a bit of acupuncture & will make sure I have regular sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well from my research, I deduced that they were non-essential surgery and health officials no longer give to address varicose veins or surface.

    veins

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you suffer from varicose veins, you are probably wondering if there is anything besides surgery you can do to treat the problem. There are several holistic treatments that help keep more varicose veins from forming.

    UltraClear PLUS UltraClear PLUS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx