Saturday 6 February 2010

High Street Pick of the Week

24, The Good Wife and Mad Men are my can't miss, Sky + (series linked) shows at the moment. I've even started to watch Desperate Housewives again as well. Thank goodness I've no money because come 9pm I'm glued to the tv or playing catch up.

Not content with watching Mad Men, I have to look and look again. The first viewing is for the storyline, gathering the information and character development. Then it is back to examine January Jone's costumes. Then it is Joan and all the bit part female characters for their dresses, shoes and jewellery.

It is a veritable feast of colour and cut. I think the attention to detail is superb and I found this reasonable priced vintage 60s dress at Pret a Portobello.com. which exudes pure series 3 Mad Men. The trick with replicating Mad Men is to forgo the late swinging sixties look and look for dresses that sit between the late fifties and 1967, some will be just on or below the knee and others will be rising slightly higher ....remember the mini has yet to arrive even though Peggy's been smoking dope. She is so going to burn her bra!

15 comments:

  1. I haven't watched Mad Men but loving The Good Wife and Desperate Housewives and of course Lost started again last night - billiant as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the new series of Mad Men - the styling is fab - and I think you're right about Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that dress, and FINALLY someone else who watches The Good Wife. I don't know anyone else who is watching, despite nagging my friends 'why don't you watch The Good Wife on 4oD' 24/7.

    I really need to get all the Mad Men boxsets too, I want to get into it. Although I disscovered ER last summer and have since watched 16 years of the show in under 10 months, so I need to finish that before starting something else. No so fashionable though, unless you're into scrubs....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a real late-comer to Mad Men but have to say the outfits are a constant inspiration. This dress is a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours in the dress .. have not seen Mad Man or The Good Wife .. I watch too much already at the moment, but will look out for them x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress, love the repetition of that lovely wave pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this dress. absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stopped watching Desperate Housewives a while back...but now that I, too, am broke..maybe I will pick up the bad habit again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I worship Mad Men!

    Lovely dress!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! looks great, do you watch Mad Men then? I've heard it's soo good, is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Make Do
    The Good Wife Starts tonight in Australia! There's been heaps of publicity. I for one will be watching and Cannot wait!! Love from me In the Antipodes xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the dress - just wish I had the figure for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there-a very stylish dress, love the print and colourway!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! So retro!


    P.S.: ♥Please don't forget to join the Gemmerson giveaway!♥

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx