Tuesday 1 December 2009

New Book

I really want to read fiction again after nearly 18 months of academic reading only. The transition is proving harder than expected. I've managed to devour my Christian Dior's The Little Dictionary of Fashion. It is a great read and the perfect Christmas present for any fashionista. I got mine at the wonderful V&A shop. I'm also reading Edith Head's How to Dress for Success which is an invaluable and instructive book regardless of the fact it was written in another time, it was first published in 1967.

I had toyed with a Jilly Cooper or a chick lit special but I haven't the heart for it. I went for a browse in a few charity shops on Saturday whilst the petit garcon was at a birthday party. I had £2 on me for a coffee but I spent my pocket money on this book instead.
It is a bit heavier going than I intended to choose but I fancy being transported to Paris and that of the 30s and 40s.

12 comments:

  1. Hi there-hope its a good read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great choice! Ahhh, to be transported to Paris of the '30s and '40s...xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Edith's book is curiously insightful and probably rather amusing (even if it's not meant to be..) Must get a copy! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never read it, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting book. Do tell us what you think about it after you're done reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am saving up books to read post exam. It is so wonderful to read for pleasure.

    Congrats on finishing your dissertation!!! I am so excited for you. I hope I will get to read it. You must be giddy to have it behind you.

    And, just fyi, Blogger is being a brat and it is giving me an error code when I try to publish your comment. I hate that!!!:-(((
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the V&A shop too! I have stacks of postcards from there, which I use to try and recreate the feeling . . .

    When I visited, Chihluly had filled the garden with sculptures. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for recommending, I love good reads about fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith Head was so amazing. I would love to have a dream dinner with her and Coco!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx