Wednesday 23 December 2009

Tinsel and Champagne

Well what a year ... I would do a post on the end of the noughties but... I think this might be covered, except in one respect, making do.

Basically if we view 2000 as a year of excess in respect of partying, money and the day all computer were going to crash (remember that), then the latter end and 2009 is the bit where it all came crashing down figuratively. I would say that the excess of the decade was typified by Tom Ford and Gucci, with the greed and consumption of the developed nations typified by the rise of Primark. Gosh, I'm a cheery soul aren't I.

I loved the Tom Ford era at Gucci but in retrospect it was like a lot of tinsel and too much champagne - you can have enough of a good thing.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record and retailers aren't going to thank me, but please remember these three things.
1. Make do with what you've got from now until March 2010 and save every penny you would have spent on a frivolous buy.

2. Make your own quality list of things that would add WOW to your wardrobe - not just clothes think jewellery (shout out for WendyB here!). Look how great Queen Michelle looked with just the addition of swear rings. Don't compromise to fill an emotional hole on an off day.

3. Save a little each month for a rainy day (or year) trust me this is a wise move. If all else fails eat cake and have a nice cup of tea - wouldn't you agree Queen Marie!

Over at Fashion and Film blog is my top three chick flicks for this holiday season.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS OR HAPPY HOLIDAYS

21 comments:

  1. I want to do the #1 in the list so much. I just have to condition myself.

    Happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there-thanks for the tips, I will only be buying things thrifted that have a real wow factor, PLUS I must save!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Xmas!

    Please don't forget to enter the brooches giveaways!

    X♥X♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent advice, darling!

    Merry Christmas!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry X-mas!!

    The best wishes for you and for your cute family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake and jewelry are two of the finest things in life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha the millenium bug, I 'd forgotten about that! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you - about the saving, about the excess of the early part of the decade being typified by T Ford. You know, I did love those Gucci days - but you are so right about it having worn out its welcome. Of course, we know it's destined to come back again in some similar form. And by then, I'm sure I'll be ready :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post, perfectly sums up last decade and brilliant advice. I shall try and participate in Number 1 and hopefully then Number 2 will follow!

    Have a lovely Christmas and time off. Xx

    PS I too agree that cake and tea can solve almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good advice! Thanks. I've already switched off my brain... turning it on in 2010 (hopefully). Wishing you happy Christmas days! Sabine x

    ReplyDelete
  11. great advice. i never buy anything i can't pay cash for right away even if i put it on my credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You couldn't be more right. Have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great advice! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great advice... I have to say I live by this rule by default. No clue how people end up with credit card debt - but this is not the place to rant about something as unrelated.

    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas! I'm really happy I discovered your blog(s) earlier this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice for the new year. Damn! I want a swear ring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I buy everything from thrift stores...thanks for the other great advice too. Merry christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are one of my favourite blogs, always entertaining and amusing. Enjyou Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this list! All your advice is wonderful. Number 2 is something I have worked on for over a year and have finally conquered.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I surely do dearest mds! I surely do.

    Sending much festive love from our Kingdom to yours

    Queen Marie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx