Saturday 26 December 2009

Sales and Fox hunting go together

image The Guardian

I have two consistent dislikes queuing for sales on boxing day and fox hunting, which was always a boxing day event. I consider both past times barbaric. The latter, fox hunting is obvious in the fact the thrill of the chase is to scare a creature out of its wits and then when eventually it dies of a heart attack or is caught, the hounds are allowed to maul the creature and rip it asunder.

I know you thought I was talking about the sales, the thrill of the chase and the grabbing of an item out of another human beings hand.

In fact it wasn't that long ago a Wal Mart employee died as bargain hungry humans stampeded into a store. The opening of Primark on Oxford St also took casualties as gathered crowds pushed open the doors because they were tired of waiting for it to officially open.

I know there will be those of you who indulge in or support one or the other. Mainly sales participation I suspect but for those of you who support fox hunting I have to say before you think I'm some lefty city dweller, I would like to point out I grew up and lived on a farm. I've pulled calves out of cows, hunted for new born lambs who's mothers have died in the night to save them and hand rear them. Equally, I've fed pigs to be slaughtered and bred grouse to be shot. It's all in a days work. When it comes to pest control i.e. rabbits and rats then the guns come out and the same goes for a fox. If the farm dogs ran off and caught something then so what. But we never ever went native and barbaric - looking for the kill, savouring the chase, riding in a wild frenzy wearing red and blowing horns, yuk! It always struck me as undignified to be a hunter in a group all brazen and vindictive pursuing just one poor lowly fox.

I don't miss living on a farm, it was a hard life in the wild west of Wales as is farming anywhere. I I do love the countryside but I cannot reconcile eking a living from the land with bunch of folk chasing a fox. It is those same folks who turn their nose up at city folk as they queue in a pack to run and bag a bargain.

Moi, you'll find me on boxing day with a glass of red wine or two, a book in hand and some family and friends. The only hunting we'll be doing is for the remote control when we've tired of conversation and eating.

17 comments:

  1. 100% with you on both... Rather sit on the sofa, watching Captain Jack Sparrow and eating biccies. Enjoy! Sabine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I wasn't a farm girl...I'm too lazy. I've never liked shopping in crowds...I try to go at odd times if I'm going to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with everything you say. Hope you had a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both standing in lines waiting to shop, and hunting an animal that you do not intend to eat, although I do like riding and red, are deplorable.
    The glass of red wine and a good book are both more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy a good gallop though the woods and a jump or two, but yes, the traditional fox hunt is deporable. However, an acquaintance told me about one group in Virgina that she rode with that did it a bit differently. In that club, the foxes and hounds are raised together, so they're all pack mates. The fox is turned loose first and makes a dash for home, then the hounds give merry chase. Everyone eventually ends up back at the stable, and no mauling involved. Only drinking.

    I hate crazy sales crowds. Too nuts for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you're a farm girl! I like your kind of boxing day. I did that myself today...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not fox hunter myself but did used to go to roll the barrel in Denbigh when I was younger.. Would hate the sales too .. even the Net a Porter one is wasting time .. unless you really want something. I think you buy stuff you dont really need.
    Enjoy your home its the best part about Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you 100%. One year I braved the Next Christmas Sale at 5am. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there-I totally agree, the sales on Boxing Day for me is a no-no. However, oldest son went to Lakeside with his Christmas money and got a few lovely pieces for half price in Topman, I was chuffed for him, his style is really evolving now!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas my dear, have a great week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couldn't agree more with you, fox hunting is vile. Bargain hunting on the other hand I can do, although I do dodge around the crowds. A ceiling panel in Selfridges fell off and nearly decapitated a few shoppers but luckily that was pretty much the worse I saw. That and men chanting like footie hooligans and shoving the crowd - hhhm maybe they should be sent to the country and hunted instead of the foxes! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean! I love a bargain, but detest having to stay in line for it. More than anything, I dislike rude crowds with an entitlement mentality. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday season.
    And thank you once again for your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That stampede business is crazy... I do my sale shopping online!!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't agree with you more!

    There is no case for repeal. Hunt numbers are up all over the country. Drag hunting is legal. The sense of community, pageantry, heritage, and jobs are all still intact and yet these disgraceful people can’t manage to enjoy themselves unless they are terrifying and killing animals.

    Please if you support the hunting act, get your name on the R.O.A.R. (Register Online Against Repeal), an ‘all party’ list at: http://www.campaignfordecency.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you whole-heartedly on both counts! We have Christmas Day with my folks and then another Christmas dinner at Vic's folks on Boxing Day - 2 days of eating, drinking, relatives and bad TV!

    Hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. good piece honey,when it turns into stampedes it definately is more than a tad barbaric.
    Happy holidays darling
    xx
    marian

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx