Tuesday 29 May 2012

Grow Your Own

As I tended my small patch in the garden of veg, namely peas, beans, radishes, spinach and rocket plus the wonderful no real effort required rhubarb and rosemary I was reflecting on a dress I had just dropped off to the dry cleaners. It is a dress I bought from Penny dreadful Vintage and it was a hand made 50s or 60s number I forget which. This dress is lovely and I will post pictures of it when I wear it on Friday at Ladies Day at the Epsom Derby.

The dress needed a new zip so I choose a modern one which, with its hard edge is a complete contrast to the heritage of the dress. I rallied against keeping it looking authentic by replacing like for like. But more importantly the dress reminded me how rubbish these days I am at making my own clothes. As a student I happily ran up anything, using the college's equipment or a friends machine. Then I had my own machine and continued my own creations plus cushions and quilts. When it broke so did my endeavours.



Singer 160 Anniversary Sewing Machine £399 John Lewis


I need to grow my own again not just in the garden but in the home. A. I could make cushion covers at a drop of a hat and B. trousers - I really need to make trousers again. Made to measure trousers are the best next to expensive well made trousers. And skirts are so easy to make too but I do realise I need to go on a refreshers course as my ability to run the material well in terms of tension will be a bit wobbly to start with, not to mention getting my waft and weave correct!!

Do you sew your own? Which home machine would you recommend?

8 comments:

  1. I used to make everything when I was a poor fashion student - so strange i too have lost the skills and just drop things off at the dry cleaners to get trousers shortened etc. I know I could do it but finding the time is so hard! I think John Lewis runs sewing classes so you can try a machine out and get a feel of what would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good idea re John Lewis sewing classes. My one that died was a Toyota!! It wasn't very robust compared to college hard core ones. I need to get back in the saddle. Could make cushion covers and quilts again xx

      Delete
  2. I've had Singer electronic machines then went on to an Elna which was really a Janome in disguise and now have a Bernina. I never understood what all the fuss was about with Berninas, but having now owned one I would never go back to any other make. They are very robust and very good but also very pricy. Mine is a second hand one and I'm very happy with it.

    For classes in the London area you could contact Karen of Did you Make that or Tilly of Tilly and the Buttons who both live in London and are very clued up on local classes and fabric shops etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing machines are very personal purchases. Needs and wants versus price. I have several and like them each for different reasons. My advice is to visit as many dealers as possible and test drive their machines, the lower priced on up. Keep a notebook of what you like, why and the price. Be mindful of the reputation of the dealer because this is very important. In my opinion buy the very best machine you can afford. These tend to fall mainly in the mid-price range. The least expensive machine might leave you wanting depending on what your needs are. Remember also that most dealers offer factory incentives periodically during sales to "trade-up" so while you may not be able to afford your dream machine right now, in a year or so that may be possible. Talk to sewing friends, get their input as well. Good luck with your search. (keeper of 2 Husquvarna Viking machines, one with embroidery capabilities, two antique Singers, 1 Janome serger *work horse* and 1 Bernina serger. ) Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again more wonderful advice really useful as I am out of touch with the old sewing machines theses days. I did love my ancient singer which I turned with the handle in my student days!! xx

      Delete
  4. OH will be there on Friday, oh and Saturday x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My machine's a cheap Toyota basic model, it cost £75 about 5 years ago and it's reliable and easy to use. I bought it after learning it's what they use in schools so quite simple and not lot to go wrong.
    I've inherited two ancient old Singers but found them a complete nightmare so they currently languish as doorstops. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, me too with 3 kids, I SHOULD be sewing like mad! I don't know much at all but my mum is a whizz so hoping to get one for xmas this year especially now the kids are old enough to learn as well - that incl. my Boy. My Tween is desperate to sew! I think the German brand, forget the name is supposed to be really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx