Wednesday 30 May 2012

Racing looks - gyspy vamp

Sunshine, festival fever due to Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Epsom Derby build up are all happening in my world. Despite the fact I would vote for a republic tomorrow I cannot help but enjoy the fact a party is happening. The party girl in me loves the splendour of streets, hight streets and houses being dressed up in flags and bunting. It just looks so cheery.

On Friday I shall be attending, for the first time, Ladies' Day at the Epsom Derby. The Queen will be kicking off her Jubilee celebrations the next day at the Investee Derby race. And the travellers are in town with their fairground and caravans amassing. It seems horse racing bridges all sections of the social classes. The Epsom Derby reflects this with its Queen's Stand, the Grandstand enclosure, the Lonsdale enclosure and then the Upper Tattenham enclosure not forgetting the common land where everyone has the right to go for free. All priced differently or not at all.

My outfit for Friday is very much a reference to the sixties. I am avoiding the WAG (for want of a better label) look and avoiding a Middleton look too. Black Prada bowed kitten heels will be teamed with a blue vintage dress bought from Penny Dreadful Vintage and a red Christian Dior clutch. No fascinator nor a hat will grace my head as my hair will be in a beehive with a black ribbon around it. Jewellery will be minimal apart from a pair of tiny gold studs and this Elizabeth bracelet 


I do have a plan B dress but it is fortunately a blue Moschino dress which still fits the 60s Mad Men vibe I wish to channel.  My nail varnish is causing me my biggest headache as I can't choose between Chanel's 'Blue Boy' or 'May'.

But what if I were going to sit on the common ground by the travellers fair? What would I wear? In the midst of the current Celine style chic a gyspy look seems kind of rebellious and against the grain!

 (image: IMDb)

My choice of  nail colour as a gypsy would be Chanel 'Pirate' in recognition of Judy Garland who starred in The Pirate (1948) 

This Tory Burch maxi skirt from Net-A-Porter (£370) is just the ticket for flouncing around and worn with a jacquard viscose top from Warehouse (£38) says free spirit. All that is need is a shawl, like this one from
 M&S for £29.50 and these fringe hoop earrings £40 from Stella and Dot. Of course I would go bare foot...










10 comments:

  1. I love the gypsy outfit but I'm sure your own will be much more stylish. You'll have to tweet pics?

    Have a great w/e, I'm going Jubilee crazy - as a foreigner I just loove all this royalty lark! (As long as they don't get any ideas about brining down our Republic of Finland. :-)

    Helena xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great fun. I realise had I lived during the civil war I would have been a cavalier, I like frippery too much to be a campaigning republican!! Long live the Republic of Finland (&Spurs)

      Delete
  2. Your outfit sounds fantastic, perhaps you should go next year and wear the Gypsy outfit which is also great, The pattern on that skirt is fantastic. Hope you have a lovely day and plenty of champagne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought a very similar blouse from Biba at House of Fraser, which I adore. It feels very summery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the weather stays fine for your festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun honey, you will fab no matter what and the hair sounds amazing, we will needs pics of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't to see the outfit pictures! Have a fab day at the races.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of watching the Fleetwood Mac "Gypsy" video back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a 21 yard gypsy skirt for bellydancing. Not that I have ever mastered the bellydancing. But I can see that it will be dragged out of the cupboard again tomorrow!

    Put up pix of your own outfit!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You looked fab in the blue dress, but I love that Tory Burch skirt! xx

    Penny Dreadful Vintage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx