Thursday 13 November 2008

Oxford Street Tattle

The beauty of the London College of Fashion is our little portal on Oxford Street. Step outside of the library and your in a small walled garden - the perfect place for being a voyeur. Last night when I should have had my nosed pressed to my Hitchcock book I went outside in the lovely cold November evening to watch the Oxford Street lights being turned on! I couldn't see it all and the photos aren't great from my crackberry but it gives a sense of the crowd at the least!




Before the lights were switched on whilst the Sugarbabes sang!



After the lights went on!

I left the library at 7pm with a gorgeous brand new book which I'd cunningly reserved, Dressed: A Century of Hollywood Costume Design, if you haven't got a book on your Christmas list then make it this one! I didn't get my Vogue H&M Comme De Garcon invite so instead I skipped to Reiss who tempted me with a 20% off purchase and a glass of champagne. I'd been converting a black patent belt and lost all will power and raided my purse to buy it saving £14, if you add the cost of a glass of champagne at £7 I felt I done good! The belt is beautiful and very extravagant at £69 given I'm a student but it will dress up all my items and save me heaps!



Then no sooner had I left the bright lights of the West End last night I was back bright and early to take a client shopping. I gave the Comme De Garcon collection the once over. Now with the exception of one jacket, a shirt and their signature flat pumps I was not impressed. The polka dot gave me Johnny Boden and middle England shudders down my spine and the material is quite frankly tat. Sorry, low grade. The injection of design is offset by quite nasty material.



I really liked this wool jacket at £69.99 it has holes under the armpits. The wool isn't a good grade but the design is fab on this item.

They'd produced two white shirts this one with peter pan collar and another with lovely ruffles on the cuff. My client and I had a coffee and popped in at 10:30am and I made her buy the pointy collar shirt with ruffled cuffs which at £35 was good value despite the cheapo polyester material.

I do like designer collaborations as it always creates a buzz and injects something to the high street but I just can't stomach the lower grade material used. I'd rather it was priced slightly higher and had a better grade of cloth.

17 comments:

  1. Hi there-I totally agree about the quality of designer collaberations-I'd rather go wihout than buy a cheap and nasty feel material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been magical to watch the lights being switched on! Great view.

    That book sounds amazing - I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I've got Tim Walker's book on my Xmas wishlist.

    Dammit, I had my eye on those shirts but was wondering about the fabric. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the low grade material too. It usually ruins a perfectly nice garment. Thanks for the review of the CDG collection. I don't have an H&M near me, selling it so I have to read the reviews online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I want the "Dressed" book so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a puffy shirt! (a la Seinfeld)

    I am very jealous of the book. Dare I plonk a bid on ebay? My auntie used to have a "green room" as a living room full of coffee table books with all the old Hollywood style. It would remind me so much of her if I got it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stand bad-feeling fabric. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like most of the designer collaborations go this route - great concepts, but shoddy workmanship and crap fabric.

    Oh, and Kate, do you hate me for worshiping Boden? Please say no!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where is picture of lovely black patent belt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info on that jacket. I wanted to check out the collection today but jury duty prevented me. I'm sure it's gone now but I had illusions that it was going to be the most perfect thing ever and that I was going to have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad that CDG stuff wasn't very good. I guess downgrades in quality are expected when prices are lowered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who can resist champagne and discount! I went to see the Comme des garcons at H&M as well and while there wasn't much left by the time I got there, I wasn't that impressed. I was looking forward to the perfume which I found smelled flat.

    Grayburn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the oxford street lights - it always makes me feel so excited: much more excited than the CDG stuff that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi kate-I've just awarded you a bookworm award my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh I bet the lights look lovely!!! Have a nice week-end!

    Mademoiselle M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that jacket too. mmm should I look in ebay for it since we do NOT have H&M here. Will be worth it?! ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx