Friday 21 November 2008

Screen goddess



Artica, St Christopher's Place (London) is hosting an Eve Arnold photographic collection of Marilyn Monroe from Monday Nov 24th to Sunday Nov 30th. I've had a peek at the collection already and most of the exhibition feature the photos Eve took on set of The Misfits (1961) a difficult and troubled film production not least due to Monroe's increased drink and prescription drug abuse. It was the last film she completed. Eve Arnold worked for Magnum Photos who had exclusive rights to documenting the making of the movie.

If you do have a chance to go and view the photos then you'll be amazed at the composition and subject matter.

It got me thinking, and I've devised a poll (see top right of blog) on Monroe versus Moss on the basis Monroe would have been the ubiquitous image of the 50s and 60s, whilst today we are saturated with Ms Moss. The poll asks you to choose between screen goddess and model goddess!


23 comments:

  1. I can't see Kate Moss still inspiring awe in men and women in 40 years time. That's one vote for Monroe then!

    Tor x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the iconic goddess who transcends death and time. Marilyn for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I love Miss Moss, my vote definitely goes to Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them both! However Monroe more!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no doubts, Marilyn of course!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Marilyn definitely - we don't really get that much Moss over here. She doesn't really have icon status for aussies, more sort of a mid-level celebrity to us.

    Funnily enough I was talking to my brother last night and he was telling me about having dinner with Douglas Kirkland the other day, who took some famous Marilyn photos (among many others), so I was actually thinking and looking about Marilyn this morning already. Spooky, or just more evidence that she's a true icon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. honey great post! i say Monroe? mmmh or is it Moss?! No it has to be mOnroe.hahhaha cant chose.Ok i chose Monroe,Iconic forever.
    hon have a good wknd
    Muah
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm old-school, so I voted for MM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems I was the only voter for Moss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Songy - that's ok there is no right or wrong answer I interested in the vote purely from an idea I have formulating for a contextual studies installation! More of this later....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh golly, Marilyn all the way! Moss is too trashy for words in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are both so different and I can't say who is better. I like this and that style as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love moss, but marilyn had so much, and a body with curves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I'm not that into Mossy right now I used to adore her. So I need time to decide on my answer... This is a hard one....

    ReplyDelete
  15. My vote is for Marylin, as she has been an inspiration to women for so many years, and still will be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think when we look back we'll find that Kate's influence will hold up but Marilyn has the complete package.

    ReplyDelete
  17. nothing against Moss but Monroe all the way...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not at all sure that we will remember Kate the way we remember Marilyn... Interesting idea to hold a poll though! I'm guessing that I can't vote twice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband and I just watched Niagra the other night on TV. A crap movie but Marilyn at her MOST Marilyn. Nothing even comes close.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx