Monday 9 November 2009

Thought of the week - the stuff of life

In the midst of wondering about ones wardrobe - I do this a lot, partly from habit and partly as a distraction to my current obsession, my dissertation - a whole host of events take place to create an experience far greater than what to buy, what you wished you'd kept, how to alter x item and thoughts on silk, draping and fair isle.

It is not often events overtake the self. I remain convinced that the ego is easily fed on materialistic pleasures and for one brief moment on Sunday before I checked my euro lottery numbers I was that person who had not claimed their £45m win. I managed to buy a town house in Marylebone, a country pile, an apartment in Paris and a house in the South of France. Since my property portfolio was under £20m I then moved onto the handbags I'd buy.

Luckily, my ego was brought back down to earth but more importantly it was fed by the proper wholesome stuff with the safe arrival in the early hours of Sunday morning of a little baby girl Hana May for my youngest sister, who went into labour due to being annoyed by the twins on X Factor!

Then we went for Sunday lunch at friends in Greenwich and had a delightful time with conversation, food, drink and the boys eating their food on a crisp sunny November afternoon in a tree house.


l to r: petit garcon and chums!

And today instead of dissertation, wardrobe matters or work I'm off to see my little niece. Although my ego wishes my sister had hung on for 8 more days so she could share my birthday.

18 comments:

  1. All my best wishes Aunty :) Its amazing how fast material things fade when the really important stuff occurs ... says she writing a list for London xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Aunty! And good luck with the rest of that dissertation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your sis - Hannah May is a lovely name. Enjoy your Aunty duties today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your sister! Hannah May is such a cute name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your sister! Very exciting news. And yes it's always good to take a moment out to think about what's really important, although of course a nice wardrobe does help you feel better about yourself so it does count too in my humble opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, that´s lovely Felicitations to your family on the safe arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah alovely down to earth post. The best things in life are free - fun, family and food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Aunty! (and that's a cool tree house!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, congrats on the birth of your niece, how delightful (and pretty funny that your sister's labour was kickstarted by Jedward!).

    I'm also loving the way you quickly spent a cool 20 mil. Sounds pretty good to me.

    When are you submitting the dissertation? We should have celebratory drinks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there-Congratulations on the new arrival, thats so lovely indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats but...oh damn, it would really help my bottom line if you won all that money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy B - actually you were next on my list, there were 2 rings straight away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ack--Jedward is dreadful! And dissertations do need a break. Congratulations on being an aunt . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cuties!!
    Congrats to your sis!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those darn babies, why don't they arrive when we want them to??! I'm so happy for you and your sister, what wonderful news, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the birth of your niece, and happy early birthday!

    You have such a cute family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyone loves a new baby! Congratulations to your sister for a safe delivery!

    xx
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx