Friday 25 June 2010

Nouvelle Queen

Yesterday, I happened to have my toe nails painted in Chanel's Nouvelle Vague and was struck by the Queen at Wimbledon being very on the button. She was nearly sporting Nouvelle Vague all over. Her outfit was wonderful. It was a real coordinated coat, dress and hat ensemble, topped by matching bag and shoes.

I'm no fan of matching anything but this was magnificent. I'm actually no fan of royalty either but the Queen's appearance signified a moment of dignity in the midst of the Lib/Con austerity fest which is beginning to grate. It seems their view of austerity is to deprive women of any benefits and curb their lifestyle. So much for the Liberals. The Tory view of women in the home baking jam in jolly spirits and sacrificing nice clothes for the good of the children is at the fore. For some reason the Queen seemed to be showing off and giving us hope. Perhaps she was saying wear your clothes loud and proud. Have nice skin, slap the makeup on and ignore that Osbourne, waste the housekeeping on gin and lipstick. I do hope so - she can become a beacon for womankind against losing the child benefit to spend on The Outnet or god forbid essentials.

All images of her Majesty off the big screen at Wimbledon.


18 comments:

  1. Here in California, "austerity" means cutting in-home care for the elderly and disabled, and eliminating programs to help people pay for childcare so they can go to work. Meanwhile, the legislators haven't had to make the ultimate sacrifice of foregoing their weekly taxpayer-funded car wash and detailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Her Majesty looks fabulous in blue! Rock on, QE2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Queen. Remember when that guy climbed into her bedroom and she sat on the bed and talked to him? I've loved her ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once got to see her super-close up. Like I was a foot away and she was shaking the hand of the person next to me (darn!) I totally fell in love with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: What Sister Wolf said, I reckon Queenie was after a shag! Anyway aside from that, this post is fucking brilliant! Sorry I have to swear but no other words can express, how I feel about it! I didn't see Queenie at the tennis, so wouldn't have been able to make the Chanel link, but everything you have written is brilliant, especially about spending the family allowance on theoutnet (you know I do that) and the Gin and Lipstick bit, utterly utterly brilliant!!!!!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post... I once met Princess Anne and was struck how tiny she was.. I bet Mam is smaller.. she rocks that colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the queen, especially when she gets dolled up. I met her once: she was lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great colour.

    I love the Queen, she always looks so chic. She knows what she likes and sticks with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw this on twitter and it is spot on. Here's to gin and lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a deeply unfashionable love for the Queen. What a fab outfit - she knows her style and sticks to it and you've got to admire that (and obviously the wonderful hat collection).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that colour the Queen is wearing.sarahD:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. She looked sort of jaunty, I thought. And it seemed as if she really enjoyed meeting the tennis boys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Queen was KILLIN' IT!! ;-)
    What a great color on her and the whole outfit is lovely. I really like the hat.
    I've chosen not to have children so that I can spend as much money as I want on gin, lipstick, & theoutnet!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The queen is one of my all time fashion icon, she always has the most perfectly matching little ensambles, especially the hats and gloves!!

    Cant remeber if I told you but I am having a giveaway for Chanel Nouvelle Vague on my blog this week x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Queen, if only for the fact she has a hat to match every mood! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waste the house-keeping on gin and lipstick!! I HEAR you, sister ;-)

    Ali Cross xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is a GODDESS and always looks so nice. Love her in that blue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. I'm with you on the gin and lipstick! I love Nouvelle Vague but I'm so boring I always have my toes in bright red or Rouge Noir. They look odd to me if I have another colour... xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx