Saturday 14 May 2011

High Street Pick of the Week

Two things about the British summer - one, you can go from sweltering to shivering within the hour and secondly shorts with tanks are a no no for the supermarket. Okay I mean more than just the supermarket but didn't want to say women of a certain age.

My two pet hates (there are more but in the context of this post) are grown women living in the cities and towns of this fair isle who think shorts and spaghetti top vest constitute being dressed. And those that think tanks with anything other than long trousers or maxi skirts can also be worn in cities and towns during daylight hours.

I beg you all to reconsider. A cap sleeve tee is a better bets with jeans, shorts and skirts. More dignified, and a far more elegant choice than cami tops or tanks. I always wear a long sleeve top with my shorts. I cannot abide showing too much flesh in the daytime. Of course by night as a stripper it is fine - only kidding! But what one wears out of an evening is entirely fair game.

Therefore I was delighted to stumble upon this very fine knit which would for a fresh late spring early or late summer's day look lovely with shorts and espadrilles particularly upon a Boris bike across London town. I rather like the fresh feel of eucalyptus as a colour choice.

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. But then, I am a more demure dresser than some...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. Thank goodness you don't live in Blackpool, you would be traumatised by the crimes against fashion that can be seen throughout the summer on the Golden Mile, and don't get me started on people with severe sunburn and strap marks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am with you on this one but I I would like to suggest the wearing of leggings as trousers rather than like tights as a more heinous fashion crime

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's hot enough to wear shorts in NYC, it's too hot for long sleeves, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sae the thin strapped cami's for the garden, nobody wants to see my bingo wings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your frugal post, Kate, brilliantly written and yes, Alvin Hall was my favourite financial expert, too.
    I'm not really a fan of knitwear. I don't mind vests in the summer as long as they aren't worn with a too-tight bra. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vix - you are the exception you do it so well and with style!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit I do like a tank, vest or low cut top in summer... but NEVER with shorts or a short skirt. Maxi or long loose trousers only. Boobs OR legs, both is not acceptable by daylight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that blouse is so cut! very versitile looking =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen to all you just said about the dressing code! It is really weird seeing people dressed like that all around! Plus if the people are older, and if they are a bit obese! I don't know why people just stubbornly want to wear whatever they think is nice, rather what really suits them and their body shape! I acutally love that nice sweater perfect for the walk on the beach in windy Northern Ireland! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vest and camis really aren't outwear are they, I much prefer a sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Kate, I like this. I have very little knitwear and nothing stripy. I'm with Perdita on the dressing xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx