Thursday 28 August 2008

The stillness of COS


Yesterday I met Pater MD&M for a peek at the Vilhelm Hammershoi exhibition at the Royal Academy. I had to drop samples back and so combined this with a free entry to the exhibit of paintings by this Danish artist. Pater is a member of the RA so I piggy back on any offer of a free coffee and a browse. It is a beautiful retrospective small exhibition of his work summarised by this copy:-
'Hammershøi's most compelling works are his quiet, haunting interiors, their emptiness disturbed only occasionally by the presence of a solitary, graceful figure, often the artist's wife. Painted within a small tonal range of implied greys, these sparsely-furnished rooms exude an almost hypnotic quietude and sense of melancholic introspection.'

Actually this could equally apply to COS. I find myself coming over all introspective and silent when entering the Regent Street shop. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion I should do all my shopping here, as it is blissfully interesting and produces such brilliant items. Whilst all around are screaming plaid and losing their heads to bling, COS presents a minimalist haven of structure, quirks and graceful pieces that you wear not wear you.
Plus I love a shop that has a petticoat, in COS's case a dark green sultry number.

10 comments:

  1. I've never been in a COS store, can't wait to visit one! plus the idea of a dark green petticoat - I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in COS once, I was impressed, but didn't get anything. It is a great shop, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like heaven. Sweet, minimalist heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! COS! My second home. So bloody good. The fabrics! The cuts! Ahhhh... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more with ENC, I need another London fix...pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so interesting how your taste in art is reflected in your taste of clothing. I had never thought about that before. Thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whilst I'm all for in-yer-face stuff....COS does make me want to spend my entire wage packet....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx