Saturday 30 August 2008

Style Session - Birmingham

I'm not in the habit of detailing or showing personal styling session because they are just that. However, yesterday Rachel was a willing winner of the style comp and happy for me to share the day. We both managed to arrive within 10 minutes of each other in Birmingham and successfully rendezvous.
We took a location photo of the architectural end of the Bull ring shopping centre, it is the outside of Selfridges. It does look amazing and again without a glorious digital SLR all the images will be sub standard but it gives a flavour. Next was coffee and then off to H&M. Rachel had a budget of £500 and needed to updated her wardrobe. She is tall, with a slim athletic frame and does marathon running, her next one is in Amsterdam. Rachel bought a list of items in her wardrobe so I could check what could stay, what was worn out or very outdated and what might be revamped.
I sort of worked out a style based on the seasons trends and what I thought would suit Rachel and her lifestyle. The baseline suggested and explained was the cuts of the 1930s/1970s with different textures and an intertwining colour palette plus a few this seasons items.
I'm not someone who says you must wear this colour or don't wear black etc. But when your on a budget and starting afresh a colour palette that enables you to mix and match items to create lots of different outfits is so useful. I drew lots of wide leg trousers for Rachel and blouses and dresses and explained cuts and the fit of clothes. After all she needed to be able to do this herself going forward. I wanted to substitute sheer chiffon blouses for business shirts. Introduce colour and ensure her look gave a nod to this season.
Oasis have a gorgeous purple sheer blouse with a tie that is so versatile and has lovely detail to dress up or down. I also selected a turquoise necklace and fuchsia large flower ring.
H&M provided much needed quantity for casual items, with 3 skinny polo tops in purple, black and grey. Also a funky organic cotton tee plus my favourite high street item a vibrant jewel turquoise blue cocoon coat. For £60 it is stunning in cut and colour and a radical departure from most coats. OK they've referenced Louis Vuitton and Giambattista Valli A/W 08 collections but for a wool high street coat it has a lot of presence and zing.
Back to basics, a black and grey £9.99 bat wing cardi completed the H&M spree.
Topshop yielded the great Evita exaggerated boot cut flare. I'd initially selected the Bette 70s flares but sometimes the cut doesn't suit the body shape so the Evita were the perfect ones on the day. A long black tassel necklace and dark romantic ring from the Freedom range were added to the spoils.
Zara was great for a work skirt, a cocoon pencil in dark grey, a long grey boyfriend cardi, a grey tank and their black lace dress offering. The last bit of the budget was reserved for flat pointy shoes from Pied a Terre - in purple. All items purchased on or rather under budget at £445
We did get sidelined by these cute baby uggs!

Rachel serene in her cocoon coat!

A flavour of colour and texture.

OK so we had a cheeky champagne at the end of it all! Darlings it was Selfridges we were sat amongst the Choos' it would have been rude not to!

27 comments:

  1. Great choices! All sounds really good. I approve of the champagne too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Rachel. Clever ideas and great budgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really miss English shopping! Reading that post made me remember how great all those chain stores were and I've been back in oz for almost 4 years now.

    Love your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great ending to a successful day shopping-champagne in the Choos, so very decadent, darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a very successful jaunt! I love the coat, I love the idea of the sheer chiffon blouses, they're so much more feminine than the bog-standard button-front work shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing day. It has given my some great ideas on how to stretch and update my wardrobe. Like the cheeky champers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks a great day!! Champagne is a requirement after a successful shopping day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow....this personal styling makeover sounds so fun!!!

    Hmm I need to check out my wardrobe what stuff to throw out (not in the bin....but giving to charity shops)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah love champagne !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate!
    Now I know your name, I'm strange I always associate people with their blog names like Make do and mend! We have to go shopping for sure I'll be in london from the 9th till the 13th I still have to find out of my cell will work over there. I'll be checking my email though. we have to shop shop shop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you sure had a great day! and the champagne to finish it off was just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww baby Uggs, why are they so cute?
    I love the colour of that coat, and it looks great on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look stunning and so cool! Those uggy boots seems to be so comfortable :)


    a kiss, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic post! I wish you were in L.A. I would love to shop with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. champagne and shopping, can't be more savvy than that. that pair of baby ugg is sooooo cute. savvy nephew will be very darling if he can walk. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments - Rachel was a delight to style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meow...Rachel looks like might fine (and comfortable) with her new wardrobe. Next up, you need to work over a fella.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I looked at this site:
    [url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Playstation tournaments[/url]
    They say you can play online Madden game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
    Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  19. A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I looked at this site:
    [url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Wii tournaments for money[/url]
    They say you can play online Fight Night game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
    Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi !.
    might , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
    There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
    The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
    Do you want to become a happy investor?
    That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

    I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
    I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
    It`s easy to join , just click this link http://abylowil.digitalzones.com/ofegogu.html
    and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello !.
    You may , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
    There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you need
    AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
    Do you want to become really rich in short time?
    That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

    I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
    I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
    It`s easy to join , just click this link http://bowunytib.lookseekpages.com/ubelib.html
    and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want not concur on it. I think polite post. Specially the title attracted me to review the sound story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brim over I to but I think the post should secure more info then it has.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

    I would appreciate if a staff member here at makedostyle.blogspot.com could post it.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there,

    Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at makedostyle.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


    Cheers,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx