Thursday 8 April 2010

Hero wedges

The term hero is much abused and maligned. The worst example is the adoption of hero in the fashion world where a 'hero piece' is the new 21st century phrase for an item that adds the Martini factor (the 1970s alternative), or is a trophy piece (so 1980s) and replaced the ubiquitous 'fierce' of the nouties. For the life of me I cannot recall a 1990s expression. But then the 90s were so hedonist no one probably cared.

However, my recent wardrobe update prompted a few enquires about the orange wedges shoved in the back of the wardrobe. In fairness they were my most admired item all last summer, achieving hero status.


Here they are at the front of my rather messier wardrobe last summer


The orange Studio TLS wedges made their début appearance at Harvey Nicks when a global blogging convention decided to drink Pimms

Then they appeared in a film - my short film Dress Up (2009)

They are there! On her feet.

And given I won't be buying much except a few 'stellar' pieces -my wish list is a navy blue Anglomania dress, a pair of Choo or Louboutins and for work a Topshop jumpsuit- then my hero orange wedges will be clomping around London town all summer.

17 comments:

  1. Super shoes!

    I am on a mission to pay off the last remnants of an old evil credit card so until end of May, every item I see that I would have purchased, I am putting the funds required to buy onto my CC instead of buying

    Wish me luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely. I think it's much harder to find a great pair of wedges than it is a fab pair of heels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She Wore it Well - good effort, it will be worth it.

    Coco - that is so true. I am the ace wedges arbitrator of good taste. It is all in the cut of the heel element. A good wedge has a defined heel which keeps the wedge in proportion and stops it being clumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still trying to be Thriftastic and Live within my means...which means not clicking on a lot of stuff I want on the outnet site. Love orange as a colour. I'd like an orange wall. Make Do Kate where do you source yr vintage? I know yr Mum gives you stuff but the other stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I too will have to shop from my wardrobe and dig out my wedges bought in East Dulwich from EDT. Perfect for this SS10 nudes. Love your hot orange ones I can see how it would lift an outfit. I didn't get my Derek Lam heels, who will see how fabulous they are if I am sat down all the time?!?!?! Note to self - learn to walk in heels over 3 inches without looking like I am on stilts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love wedges I can wear them all day, I love your orange ones xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I'm crazy for the wedges I guess. So comfy and really stylsh at the same time.


    ReplyDelete
  8. FF - I'm quite rubbish, I go to charity shops occasionally and intend to go to car boot sales but never get round to it and I once got a 1940s handbag which I love off ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was admiring those in yesterday's shots - glad they've been elevated to hero status!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!!!!! I feel somewhat responsible for all of us getting to meet your gorgeous orange shoes. Please forgive my solipsism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember them well from last summer, loved them then, love them now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the wedges!
    http://barelyvogue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I may, I will call them total winners !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh. Now you've made me go all wistful for summer, and pimms, and being able to wear strappy shoes without thick tights....ahhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay to your hero wedges, they certainly deserve a fitting dress. (and I love the term 'martini piece'!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx