Wednesday 10 September 2008

Naughty.. but nice

Marc Jacobs is my joy amongst designers, not least for his affordable and high street winner Marc by Marc Jacobs.

Much as I love his NY S/S09 show I do think he's been a bit naughty with his hybrid amalgamation of many an international/film costume. Matador (tick) Geisha (tick) Little House on the Prairie (tick) Mary Poppins (tick) ah I could go on, the collection is one heck of a mash up but I kinda like the showmanship of it all. It reminds me of Auntie Mame, a madcap film full of glamour and free spirit.

You can sort of tell he's been concentrating on his physique and being lazy elsewhere. I've selected two looks which I think will translate to the high street come next year.

12 comments:

  1. I think I made my opinions clear on this collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The magic is gone (well, this season anyway) for me, I hope it returns!

    With duty and whatnot here, Marc by Marc Jacobs falls into the price category of "expensive designer label", rather than high street. It's weird, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there-I love this last look! Oh dear, I can't even begin to think about S/S 09, Kate, after our dreadful summer, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to sit back and wait for the knockoffs!

    I loved the hats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the purple and yellow striped dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a whole lot of stripe in picture #2. Don't think people with seizures should look at that photo. Yikes! I feel sort of dizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I hope you're right. Love the look in the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me think yes & no for some reason!

    x Grayburn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to write about this collection, to me it seems like sort of a 'best and worst of'- he took elements of all the last few collections but didn't really push them forward, just collaged them together. at least that's my first thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. not new, but very elegant!

    there really seems to be quite the backlash against the once golden boy, somewhat deservedly so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah my poor old Mr MJ - he has been a silly boy and does need to get back with the design groove and yes he does deserve all the criticism but i'm sure he'll come very good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx