Thursday 4 September 2008

Opps I did it again oh baby baby....

I read a great article in The Times yesterday care of Lisa Armstrong the Fashion Editor. She highlighted the almost sense of deja vu of the perennial trend each season. For A/W read varying socialite trends titled, Park Lane Princess, Grown up dressing, Society chic etc. For S/S read varying titles for Out of Africa, Neutrals, Safari Chic - you get my drift.
Whilst there is nothing wrong with the the retro resurrection, the challenge Lisa debated is for the creation of the new and the argument can this be done? I don't have an answer, currently.

When I get my Style Bubble fix, usually every day, it keeps me update on several levels. Susie does good reviews and interesting posts about a variety of designers (as does Disneyrollergirl and Kingdom of Style to name a couple). She saves me quite a bit of time that I haven't got for research and gadding about getting it, also I love her outfit compilations (again same goes for Queen Michelle, Pandora, Fashion Toast, and everyone else, apologies for not naming everyone as I love and am inspired by so many, you're all good eggs!). And I reckon Susie and the rest of you have saved my business some £200 pounds a year in magazines. It also conjures up new and interesting possibilities, blending old and 'new'.

I'm not overly concerned about 'newness' in fashion or debating about can anything be new. I like to experiment and take risks still, even if it makes me look wacky or borderline mad old lady (sic. boyfriend jeans post) but I spotted a look last night that I thought has been consigned to the bad and not to be beholden again......cue this post by Fashion Nation.

Now I'm willing to bet that this is one look SharonRose Vintage will not be thrifting for - mais non?

12 comments:

  1. Some of the more scenesterish girls around here were wearing crop tops last summer - I shuddered and complained about it at the time, but knew that meant that it was inevitable that it would come back. I like Queen Michelle from KOS's take on them - used for layering only.

    PS. Hey you didn't link to me and my magnificent 80s crop top from yesterday :lol: ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, it's so true, especially about the Grown up dressing/safari chic etc!!
    Plus the fact blogs have also saved me 100s of euros in magazines!! Blogs are Bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, experimentation is the key..and of course have fun :)

    x Grayburn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me feel happier that I can't afford any new clothes or shoes at all. Yeah no to the crop top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another no to the crop top. And yes, me too, I'm saving lots of euros on fashion magazines since I've become addicted to fashion blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg I'm spending so much money on magazines and in german magazines it's like nothing new to me, I mean why buying magazines when I can read blogs ;)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the fashion bloggers! Too true ... and

    Nay to the crop top! *groan, covers her eyes*.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you.... I don't know about saving ppl money but I think lots of ppl are twigging that things do get regurgitated and it's up to the individuals who are putting their style out there to inspire others to thinking that there are more ways than one to wear things....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack...that was me above by the way.... awful typing....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate!!! I'm soo pleased you know me very well now, after all these months! Mais non-definitely!!If I was half my age now, I might have considered it-only consider it, mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I gasped in dismay when I saw that post yesterday. Why, people, WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll leave the crop tops to the girls with solid abs and no layer of fat over them like I have.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx