Tuesday 23 September 2008

Making do

Given that I don't preach make do stuff on a daily basis, I felt it was timely to do a post with a personal making do round up. Particularly as I metaphorically spent about £2k the other day for my wifely golf outfit.

But in real life after a few years of having it all, a wedding and a move to London, it taught me the errors of my ways, I don't like being in debt. In truth it is jolly hard living within ones means and I've hardly done myself any favours by undertaking an MA - seriously denting my income.

I have no money now to buy any new shoes or clothes and being creative is my only asset. I've always been a keen follower of fashion and whilst once I was a setter of trends in my youth, I'm more an early adopter type these days. However, of late I have been inspired to just thrown it up and go for glory. I worry not about the current trends, although I keep on eye on it just to be able to adapt my wardrobe and wear it in a way that gives a nod to the current.

I've also rediscovered fun with clothes (thank you Style Bubble, Susie loves her style, is adventurous and inspired but always retains the fun lovin' element), I've learnt to think about only buying clothes I love, this top tip was from a Disneyrollergirl comment on a post and it made me think. Plus I was inspired by Rebekah Roy's talk at the Barbican. I love the pics everyone posts on their outfits and all the worries about dressing that people share. This all helps when your funds are limited, I've even embracing secondhand foraging although my first time cost me dear. I need to get Sharon Rose's thrifty fingers!

I've stepped away from Grazia, the fast and furious in, out, on trend, off trend patter is a roller coaster of nothing. I'll buy one occasionally because it's a great weekly magazine but I've had to stop the impossible wants.

One day I hope to plan my seasonal wardrobe and add a few key items but for now you'll find me using whatever I've got to full effect. If you see someone on Oxford Street on the way to London College of Fashion with a sequin black cape over a skinny polo with skirt, tights and holes in her shoes be kind!

13 comments:

  1. Does that sequin black cape come with any super powers? I'd not be at all surprised to hear that it did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaay, a great post kate!! I think with so many influential mags and bloggers, we all get caught up with what we want and don't have, instead of looking at what we do have!! I'm really going to try this winter to wear what I've got, instead of coveting what I haven't! Xmas looms, and with kids, they get priority, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I see someone in a black sequin cape, I'll be sure to toss a stuffed moose head at 'em with a note attached reading 'make in work'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post.
    You got a challange.... To dress with your wardrobe making the most profit of all pieces, mixing and matching. I so sure you'll do it in the best way :)

    Like Skye I wouldn't be surprised if that sequin black cape come with any super powers ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don'y buy Grazia any more either. I think it has gone downhill a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post! It is hard not to get caught up in the consumerism of it all, especially reading fashion blogs and following (by that I mean reading about) trends. I know I've made some mistake purchases in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on, lady! I bet you'll find making do to be a lot less painful than anticipated. A maven such as yourself is sure to have loads of well-made classics to fall back on, and a few fun embellishments, too. Including, apparently, a sequined black cape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even without the cape I feel sure tha you are a super-hero of making do. I am very inspired by posts that involve shopping ones own closet rather than a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you. There's no need to be a slave to trends. You can cut your own swath, walk your own path.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Make Do, I've been feeling pretty much the way you do lately about curbing the spending and doing it my own way, so if you need a partner in crime, with her own cape (sadly not sequined), I'm you gal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find that the girls with the least cash, have the greatest style. And we should all look into our closet and try to use things we already have, in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon Rose will certainly teach you how to find things on the cheap!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx