Friday 12 February 2010

A single outing

In a solitary moment I went to the HMV Curzon in Wimbledon to see Tom Ford's A Single Man.
It was an enjoyable viewing and there is something to be said for making a film after a career change, however I would say there is a very slight soulless feel to the film, which is either due to brilliant acting by Colin Firth and is intentional, or it isn't.

I also felt there were overtones of Wang Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love with the clock and the use of non digetic sound (the musical score) and the fragmented nature of the story telling. But is lovely to see a film that is reminiscent of homage to other directors when those directors are so brilliant. I felt there were overtones of Antonioni too.

It is stylish but it is not a fashion film, although Ford's aesthetics are stamped all over it. It is well worth seeing and both Moore and Firth are such good actors - their casting is act of genius.

7 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to this movie. I read in a review that there is a 10 minute scene between Firth and Moore that could be a Master Class in acting.
    Firth + Moore + Ford's Aesthetics= I can't wait!
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see this movie thanks for thumbs up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tow favourite actors - a must see for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait til it opens in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you think it was good. I really want to see it but the paper gave it 2 stars yesterday, which I was shocked about. I swear, every film I ever want to see gets 1 or 2 stars, I must have really bad taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to seeing this film - maybe they'll play it on the plane (although not exactly perfect cinematic viewing conditions!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx