Wednesday 17 February 2010

My very own Mrs Doyle

Seven weeks (and a bit) in and counting on the no fritter challenge. That means there is only 5 and a half weeks to go. So far I have bought nothing and spent nothing. This means my overdraft/credit card/MA loan are all decreasing. I hope that I will be on target to pay everything off by the end of the year.

To date the weather has been an enormous help in preventing shop browsing and therefore reducing temptation. Sadly the effects of this have probably been counterbalanced by more blog viewing and magazine consumption. I have been building mental pictures of a new wardrobe in my head. However I do feel able to resist temptation and have felt strangely liberated from the cycle of consumption.

I feel my adherence to the no fritter challenge will be helped by participating in The Small Fabric of my Life's Spring capsule wardrobe challenge, although I am hoping the weather gets warmer in March.

But in the midst of keeping going, my very own Mrs Doyle appeared in the form of Mrs Fab of Looking Fab in Your Forties. She hilariously commented 'go on treat yourself' in reference to my MA award. It was a real 'go on, go on'! I will not be breaking my resolve to treat myself of anything, although I did polish off very easily the champagne left over from Sunday (that's how frugal we are being these days!).

Avast Mrs Fab, oh go on then...I might be tempted to treat myself to a great pair of shoes for my graduation in July. I fancy skipping in Westminster in these....

10 comments:

  1. Champagne is a lovely way to celebrate,as are shoes. But to graduate and be out of debt in a year, that is worthy of BIG celebration!!! Really, I know I said it before but I am sooooo excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Cinderella will go to the Ball in those shoes! You must, you must, oh I am beyond excited at the thought of you buying a pair! You have done so well, you deserve something special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing fantastically. To pay down debt is a wonderful achievement. Once you get there, you can celebrate with a little purchase :-) Even though I haven't bought a new item of clothing, somehow I manage to spend... But this challenge is furthering my sewing skill tremendously. I can't live without gorgeous clothes, and if I can't buy them, then making them is the alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tempting tempting you must be in a cold sweat - 5 1/2 weeks to go - grin and bear it. I could never do what you have done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shoes - so long as you've got the outfit to match?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there-I was going to echo Jane, but you've done so well on your challenge, these shoes will be a sweet present indeed at the end of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shops I never a temptation for me, it's the ONLINE shops that always ruin my resolve :(

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Make Do,
    Well done with the thrift and congrats re your MA! Hooray! She Wore it Well is right- online shops destroy me-I have given my credit cards to Mr FF to hide. FF xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been pretty good too not spending much. Although buying a Chanel dress sorta killed my budget for the month. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx