Thursday 30 December 2010

My worst buys of 2010


Topshop faux leather trouser things!

Some years ago this list would have been different and longer. After much progress on the making do front over the years I have spent less on whimsical of the moment stuff of the a) I'm worth it category or b) I could just imagine myself ... both options are of the stupid money wasting vacuous nonsense I loved so much!

Of course I still love a bit of vacuous nonsense after all...but being determined to live within my means and only buy things I truly love means I've cut down on wastage. My style challenge I set in November is already a winner. To date I have bought a Valentino skirt from the Outnet for £136 and pre ordered at a considerable discount some quality S/S 11 items from Isabella Oliver 365. I have a wish list of 4 items - this is unheard of. Usually my wish lists can go on and on. However I really want to pay off the last of my debts (post grad ones) this year as well as write.

But I made two enormous buying mistakes this year. The first was under category b). I imagined myself in some rock chic ease of tee plus leather trousers heaven. Not having the leather pant budget I decided to experiment with Topshop faux leather ones. What a waste of £32. I bought size 10 and I am on the porky side of UK10 at the moment. They kept falling down. Not just down a little bit but right to my knees.

I tried wearing big knickers over the top of them but still the movement was southward. Lesson learnt, when one imagined oneself in specific items a)only buy top quality and b)make sure only buy when honed and toned.

For those of nervous dispositions look away now - I pinched these photos from WaceyStyle as we were getting ready to go out and trying all manner of style solutions to rubbish trouser things.


Big rollers in, faux leather legging trussed up with big knickers, a wrong look!


These faux leather things are coming to get you!

My next worst buy falls into the mad bag lady category. Ages ago I grabbed what I thought were panty liners during a supermarket shop. In my defence I thought the black and pink packaging looked nice and really didn't look beyond the trusty brand name. Upon unpacking I realised to my horror I'd bought bladder control things. Not women's period solution numbers but wetting knickers issues. After my initial horror, then the giggles I realised I could take them back. An easy mistake to make and I don't look old enough to need them. I completely forgot to do this and given I was totally disorganised used said things during a monthly emergency!

I was relieved that I hadn't got them from Tesco as their data collection and profile building when it comes to shopping habits are second to none. They can even anticipate what you need. What did I do? Well I only went and bought them again. Same scenario, supermarket slap dash shop. Now this means I am officially on a computer somewhere as a knicker wetting old dear! Great hey.



My New Year resolution is quite simple. Stay away from black and pink packaging

18 comments:

  1. I am laughing so much that I almost need the panty liner thingys... :) Great photos ...Shame about the leggings as I know they looked good in the flesh and you are certainly not a porky anything xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my dear-what a coincidence, this time last year I pensioned off some Topshop shiny snakeskin leggings that I had also paid full price for, thinking they would be the bees knees, what a waste, lol!! I nearly went shopping online in the sales, but I just can't pay 3 figures for clothes, I think I'm just missing my boot sale fix so must keep the debit card firmly in my purse, away from online fashion sites anyway!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely post, It might sound silly but have you thought of braces?

    There is a great video over on MissPeelPants blog that made me think of this.

    Mo

    http://emmapeelpants.blogspot.com/2010/12/si-tu-cherches-la-bagarre.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mo - thank you I did think of braces - great idea but they really are the most irritating things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha such a good post (more for us than you obviously) I had sucess on the Topshop pleather pants but I also bought what I though would be a lovely thick jersy-esq pair of leggings, I swear I had made it only a few steps and they were falling down so bad I went into Primark bought a cheap pair to put on, took off the Topshop ones and marched right over there to demand they give me a refund!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, oh dear! And, love Topshop as I do, I have also had falling-down issues with their trousers before. Must be an issue that crops up with certain trouser designs there.
    And I've actually started reading some shady things online about the future Mr Portman. Probably just just silly gossip, but if true let's hope the wedding never takes place. Natalie is too smart to marry a K-Fed, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! This made me laugh out loud! You'll never be a porky size 10, damned TopShop and their rotten sizes. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious! Too bad about those pants. I have SO made that mistake. Sadly, I probably will again. And, even without trying, I am totally following the "only spend money on the high-end stuff" challenge. (Perhaps it's too easy!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha what a fabulous post. I could easily see myself buying both of those. Who knew that there were 5 grades when it came to incontinence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pads are really good at mopping up wet wellie puddles (please don't ask how I know this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. O my goodness I am soooo glad I am not the only one who bought those exact same panty liners by mistake hahaha!!!!!!!!!! That has made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank You so much for giving me such a good laugh - we women are just brilliant how we can see ourselves and our foibles and have a jolly good giggle together - well done!

    Happy shopping - though I can hear a New Year's resolution from you ??? - and a happy 2011,

    Kiki x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Women Love Style - good grief I didn't notice the grading!

    Catherine - easily done! call it product placement and who on earth is going to return them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOps - but at least you Made Do with the bladder things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bwahahaha! It was obviously ALL about the big granny pants this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How funny! As for the trousers, I would be happy if a size 10 fell off me, I wouldn't be moaning.In fact I would give someone £32 quid just to make it happen! Mind you if I ever saw a size 10 again it would probably mean I was dying of Cancer or already dead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laughing out loud over the bladder control stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Kate, that's so funny! I wouldn't have taken them back either.

    Shame about the trousers, how annoying! I really like that look. I was eyeing those Hennes leather look leggings but never went and tried them on. Then last week I was having a bit of a final push on the wardrobe and I found a pair of really soft black leather Helen Storey skinny leather trousers. They're stretchy at the back and leather at the front. I must have bought them in the nineties and haven't seen them since as they were hiding under something on a hanger. They are lovely but sadly I can't do the top button up at the moment. The January health kick should sort that out!

    Have a fantastic New Year and tons of love and success for 2010 xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx