Wednesday 24 November 2010

Fashion Maths and Fate

Late yesterday afternoon I finished my wardrobe sort out and purge. It left me requiring a skirt. If I'm honest I really do/did have my heart set on the Valentino for Gap one at £69.95. I love Valentino and thought it would be a good way to get some but I also felt it was breaking my year long challenge. Technically it is only a designer collaboration and Gap is high street. Then I thought could I really be bothered to haul myself to Dover Street Market first thing Saturday morning - as at least Dover Street Market isn't a high st retailer!

Bit by bit I managed to convince myself that it would be a bad idea and would be breaking my challenge. I'm sure if I had put it to the public you would have voted me OFF, mind you Wagner keeps staying on X Factor despite abominable performances.

My next step was to check out skirts on Net A Porter and Matches. I'd looked at My-wardrobe the day before. Nothing grabbed me in my price range. Then I thought I'd look on the Outnet. I'd tortured myself earlier with a Valentino red dress. I filtered my search to skirts... you know where this is going don't you ... and I stumbled upon an f****** Valentino, in my size with 80% off and in black at the length I wanted and the level of detail I wanted too. I quickly checked my bank balance and worked out the math.

Then I bloody well went for it!



And here is my new baby to be. At £136 down from £680 I'm in Valentino heaven. It hasn't arrived yet but fingers crossed it will be perfect. Okay it is double the price of the Valentino Gap one but there the comparison ends. At unit cost per wear it will pay for itself in 12 months. Oh the joy of it!

23 comments:

  1. That is absolutely gorgeous! You'll be wearing that beautiful skirt for years. Thanks infinately better than frittering £20 away here and there on other skirts and just compromising. Please post a photo of you wearing it all styled up when it arrives. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vix - I will I thought I would do 5 different ways to wear this skirt! I hope it fits and I like it in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You only got the one!! That skirt is fabulous, fingers crossed that it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think designer collabs are boarder line, so you should be allowed to buy them. I only say the part of the gap collection which was in Grazia and none of it was my cup of tea, I didnt see the skirt. But buying the mainline on the outnet was a much better purchase, it is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!!!! Good on you, so glad you went for it. This will last you forever and you will feel good every time yuo put it on.

    I don't do designer collabs, the quality is never right and everyone knows the pieces so well that you have no mystery about you. I would not have permitted you to crumble Kate! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fate indeed. As my gran used to say "it was sitting there waiting on you"...
    I'm sure it will be be every bit as wonderful in real life.

    QM
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was kismet, neant to be! The gods of fashion are looking down on you and want you to succeed in your year long challenge! PS cute skirt, I'm definitely interested in how you're going to style your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm cheering for you! That one is fabulous, so glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your year-long challenge, you are so inspiring.
    The skirt is divine. Double the price of the Gap but the cost per wear will be pennies in the end. Yay for you for sticking to your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there-this is certainly a fabulous investment piece, you will covet and love it for years to come and an extremely goody buy, especially on a cost to wear basis-well done indeed!! PS-I would say yes to designer and high street collaberations too, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely skirt - so versatile and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous and the quality will no doubt put the GAP version to shame. I think you made the right choice, and think of it this way - there are many things in Topshop more expensive than this skirt. And this skirt is Valentino! Do let us know how it looks in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on you! Spoil yourself, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is an investment piece and I bet in 20 years from now you will STILL be glad you bought it. Gorgeous!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way you convinced yourself to make the purchase and the whole thought process. Yes I too had my eye on the red Valentino dress on the Outnet but steeled my way from it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't you just love a bargain, especially such a chic one! And one that you NEED.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh it's absolutely beautiful. I bet you'll get so much wear out of it as well - much better choice than the Gap one.

    For what it's worth, I don't think designer collaborations break the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Kate, the skirt is beautiful and you absolutely HAD to have it. And it's proper Valentino. I love it and I'm so glad you didn't buy the other one. I've seen some lovely red dresses on Ebay recently xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally worth it- and fab that outnet 'came good' for you (I only ever seem to be able to find bizarre colours and sizes on outnet and online TKMAXX- lime green 80s style would NOT get the wear of that lovely classic skirt).

    I'm saving for a trip to Bicester Village to Valentino, my last trip I got a pair of black patent strappy sandals for £90 down from £375!! Possibly because I have big feet but meh, karma has paid me back for my giant plates-o-meat in the form of shoe sales!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx