Monday 11 January 2010

Thought of the week - S'now complaints

Err...I started this post before opening the Style magazine of the Sunday Times. Then I read Shane Watson's column and it was spookily similar to the musings I was undertaking as thought of the week and it equally contained my previous post regarding no spending.

Now of course all this is merely coincidence, but Shane if you do read this blog - love your column.
The similarity lay in two points. Point 3 regarding money concurred with me regarding no frittering. Basically buy nothing at all for months and go get a great item. If I was earning proper money again and not paying off a masters loan then without a shadow of a doubt I'd be selling the family silverware as well to bag myself a look from top to toe. Forget the rule of not wearing designer gear from head to toe, I'm completely beguiled by the new Chanel adverts, my particular favourite is the white suit with the Aline puff skirt. I only wish I'd asked wife in the city to get me one of the hats on her recent visit to Argentina. Instead I had to content myself with pinching this image from Wildernesschic's blog



Sigh and crossing fingers Zara does a homage! Well.. actually I'll go without because this brings me to what I was going to say and Shane mentioned in a similar vain in her first point on 'six steps to de-stress'.

I've really been enjoying the snow as I've had to wear the contents of my ski bag which I pulled down from the loft because we've been deluged with snow. It's about 16m from my front door to Oxford St via road, and far less as the crow flies, yet we on the outskirts of Greater London are marooned in a snow fest. This has been good for lots of reasons, Fashion or being stylish is currently pointless, warmth and mobility are the first waking thoughts. I need to be warm to get things done and my Hunter's wellies are my shoe of choice to get me from A to B. I have to wear silk socks plus thermal socks to keep my toes warm as wellies aren't the best when it comes to insulation.

I'm wearing my ski jacket and layers. When I went to an appointment in Mayfair on Thursday as I stepped out at Bond St tube station I did feel mildly foolish attired in my half Ray Mears survival kit teamed with jodpur leggings and long fine knit jumper and red lipstick. I'd gone from compacted snow to a wet pavement without a trace of the stuff.


This is Mr MDS and petit garcon yesterday as we tobogganed with countless others on the Epsom Downs racecourse. And this morning I woke to further light smattering of snow although it is meant to that this wee.
Having gone without for nearly a week I've sort of lost any pressure to be perfectly presented or stylish along with an organised diary on my blackberry. I've been lost in a world of wellies and fun with a four year old. We've wiled away many an hour with a Toy Story memory card game, the hungry hippo and the Gruffalo snakes and ladders games.

This has helped in breaking any doubts I might have had about 'stepping out/away' from my own personal bind of retaining an edge in the style stakes. I'm never not going to be a fashion junkie but at the moment I can't afford a cup of takeaway coffee and so I'm going to relax on this matter.

I do think it is hard as a fashion industry person to admit to being broke and then sticking to your guns of not updating your look and making do. I had a good little spurt last autumn with some much need additions to my wardrobe and apart from a couple of things they are all thankfully keepers.

Also when Queen Marie does a post like this I'll have no complaints about making do except when I gaze upon the Chanel adverts.

22 comments:

  1. Glad you worked the red lips into that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like simple (and cost free) fun in the snow. Bah! It's been raining here in London...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been noticing a mote of practicality in all those venturing out lately too. And thanks to the icy roads, pedestrian traffic is up in my village. People seem to find risking their arses preferable to risking their bumpers.
    I have noticed that the more stylish but warm folk, are still adding a little something, like good hair, a really nice scarf (albeit tied around the head) to their outfits.

    Whereas the usual track-suit skangers and pikeys still seem to favour back bosoms and trainers as part of their winter "look"

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been stuck in due to the snow so have been having a clear out, I find I can update my look just by pairing different things together. I am totally saving up for Chanel clogs though! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't bought the Juicy Jeggings - spent the money on the girls instead. Have only bought a Tunic top in the sale for £15 which I need to go over leggings xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't purchased anything fashion-wise for about a year now and I LOOK TERRIBLE. Every-time I see the ladies on your blog header, I yearn (oh how I yearn) to look like they do. At this stage I don't think that any one purchase can help, its gonna take a whole lot more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this Chanel campaign! :-)



    P.S.: ♥Please don't forget to join the Miss C. Alexandria giveaway!♥

    Good luck!


    X♥X♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very glad that I don't work in the fashion industry because I don't feel the pressure to update your wardrobe every season. I love the Chanel pieces but I'm sure that as soon as I invested in them, they would be out of style...although the Chanel clogs are calling out to me. I bought the Gucci clogs when Tom Ford first came out with them, I believe his first season with Gucci, and I wish that I still had them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cybill - is that you! I miss 'sorting it out' xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would look fantastic in a Zoro hat. Truth be told you would look fantastic in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh God I fear I am not doing well on this thrift year .. Not at all. Worse than ever, my spending this month .. Does it count if I dont buy another thing to wear all year? ..well for six months at least
    I have bought ( an investment piece) an Alexander McQueen dress. New season slightly punk looking with zips but looks amazing on, will wear forever. To go with it I have bought some Butler and Wilson skull and tusk earrings,amazing! ... But I have also bought some Terry de Havilland wedges half price in the sale ... all wonderful purchases and if I waited the dress would surely sell out in my size and the shoes were the last pair in Pewter.
    So is this allowed ... I can do this the other way around and now save?.... I have sacked the cleaner so thats saving me money :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wildernesschic - LOL. No one is obliged to do anything! Sounds like great buys. Now get cleaning xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there-well, I'm rotating all my winter coats to make it feel like I've got some choice-total spend by me on 2 'new ones' this season was £5-the minquilla faux fur and xmas pressie from mum of the next coat, so not bad. I'm also trying to focus more on spring/summer and seeing whats in my wardrobe that coincides with the new trends-thankfully, a few pieces do, so not much to try and invest in over the next few months!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, the poorhouse -- my best friend, my worst enemy. I'm sorry things aren't so lucrative at the moment, but I'm sure one day you will afford all the Chanel your heart can desire, and if not, well...it's just stuff! You have your lovely little garcon and some snow and a sweet husband. :) Sledding looks fun!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see Zara doing a copy, lets keep our fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Make Do Style,
    I am 11/10 thrilled that you commented on my blog- I check yours everyday and found it through India's Thrift Book (my Bible). To see the Aldridge post, scroll down the right hand side of my blog til you get to the heading "Labels". This is below the heading "Blog Archives" .You will then see an alphabetical list and the "Aldridge Family" is near the top. I don't understand why Old Judy and Brian still live next door post divorce- how's that work for their new relationships? And I am dying to know whether they have a Mexican Housekeeper. And whether her name is Consuela. Thanks for commenting- you've made my day here in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://fauxfuchsiastyle.blogspot.com/search/label/Sea%20of%20Shoes

    Here is the actual link re Sea of Shoes/Aldrige Family so you don't have to bother with the admin of a search. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will avoid buying little things and then splurge on one big piece. I got a Chanel coat and dress this season but I would love them for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Make Do,
    I have answered your questions about who's who in the Sea of Shoes family in the comments section of my Sea of Shoes post! Judy is the mum. She has a blog -Atlantis Home. Bryan is the dad and Carole is the sister. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter online[/b][/url]

    [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]dwd wetter[b][/url]

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx