Friday 1 January 2010

New Year Style Challenge

There's no place for waste, there's no place for waste....okay not as catchy as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz with her red shoes but it might be a handy mantra for you to adopt for the first three months of 2010.

Normally one's new year resolutions are quite self centred in the sense they revolve around self improvement, endeavouring to do more, be better at x or y. However it is hard to do this in isolation and often the focus brings no visible reward (unless on is aiming for slimmer hips!).

I've noticed and noted how many of us on the fashion blogs without a disposable income worthy of our fashion fancies often lament not being able to buy an item that is more expensive....YET there is much evidence of FRITTERING. Therefore the resolution I'm proposing you to adopt is 'The No Fritter Challenge 2010'.

It is essentially very easy to undertake. All you have to do is not buy a single item of clothing from now until March 31st. Save what you might have spent or were tempted to spend and then go an buy yourself something truly fabulous.

Basically you have to make do until the 31st - there are no exceptions even £2 on an item from a charity shop could count towards your fab fund.

I want you to savour the moment you purchase the item you love in April.

If you want to be part of the Make Do Style resolution just use the image below and put it on your blog to show you are participating and remind you of your goal. Then in April all you have to do is post you and your purchase!


**UPDATE** essentials are allowed i.e socks, tights and underwear if you are really desperate but it has to be an emergency!

23 comments:

  1. I'm in deep thought... can I do it? I really want to but I'm traveling to the US next week and I may not be able to control the urge to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year MDS x

    Ok I am considering this very seriously. I think if I could combine this with trying to clear the crap and clutter that seems to be overtaking every corner of The Palace, it might help me start 2010 in a better way. Am I correct in assuming that essentials are still ok to buy ie socks etc???

    Queen Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!

    P.S.: ♥Fresh start of 2010? Oh yeah, don't forget to join the Curious Sparrow giveaway!♥

    Good luck!

    X♥X♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea... but there is no way I can join! I've set my eyes on a Chanel jacket that costs half my rent, but it's my birthday soon and I'd rather look nice and not eat until April!

    Happy New Year! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god this is such a good idea! I'm going to try - but it's a really long time. I'm sure I'll last a day and then be back in Topshop.

    Happy New Year! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah great idea in theory, I've tried this myself, and whilst I do tend to only buy major pieces, there is no way I can do a total shopping ban. In fact I was just planning on going for a snoop around the sales tomorrow LOL! Instead I will support you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, darling!

    Happy New Year!

    xoxox,
    CC

    P.S. Started a new blog ~ would love for you to check it out and maybe exchange links!
    http://couturecarrieloves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and I think I can do it. However, I want to sew things (clothes) and I cannot resist doing that till then. I mean, I'm developing my art :-) As long as buying fabric and sewing notions is allowed, I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I join tomorrow I need to buy some Juicy Couture jeggings fron net-a-porter later .......?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Queen Marie - socks are ok, have amended to allow you a hole or two.

    coco - come on you could step into Burberry instead, you'd love it!

    K-Line - of course! that's different you are honing your craft.

    Looking Fab - Oh go on then!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh that's an interesting challenge!
    i probably should do it... should...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went into the shops yesterday and was so underwhelmed by the end-of-year leftovers. I *am* expecting a Helmut Lang statement jacket in the mail any day now (have never tried a piece and am looking forward to it) but apres that am all too content to make do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went into the shops yesterday and was so underwhelmed by the end-of-year leftovers. I *am* expecting a Helmut Lang statement jacket in the mail any day now (have never tried a piece and am looking forward to it) but apres that am all too content to make do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a challenge - but I love to shop! What to do? if my much wanted classic watch comes up for sale before April I just gotta make a bid to have it - you have all my support. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I would love to partake however, I am studying abroad in Paris this semester and just know I will be tempted to shop. Best of luck! And I love your blog!!


    www.antiquatedtreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there-sounds a great idea, to be honest, all my spare money is going in eldest sons direction, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in. No clothing until April.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always telling people not to fritter their money away on crap stuff and to save for the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am seriously considering this, I love this idea. But really have not been spending money on myself since Arm Baby's arrival...perhaps I save for one great 2010 piece?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so much for realistic than my set goal: ALMOST NO SHOPPING IN ONE YEAR, Just 9 pieces.... I will try to follow mine BUT it things get tough I'm in with yours...

    ReplyDelete
  21. It will be great to watch The Wizard Of Oz, i have bought tickets from
    http://ticketfront.com looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx