Friday 3 July 2009

Forget Twitter. Do you Fritter?

Probably the biggest detriment to your wardrobe is frittering money away on lots of little items. When I say little, I mean low cost items. A couple of bargain buys in the high street for £20 on a lunchtime seems reasonable and even if you only wear said items once then it still seems like a wise buy. Or is it? Does the thrill of the new item wear off very quickly? Did you buy it as a random purchase because it spoke to you in the store? Did you really need it? And do you wish you could get round to that seemingly impossible state of affairs reserved for the interviewees of magazines - the investment piece?
Cue the fritter examination. If you didn't buy all those little items in terms of price how much would it add up to? I worked out that one year I frittered away £500 on items price £9.99 to £19.99, tights, tops, cardigans, accessories - you name it. I could have bought an investment piece! I have to confess to being a bit of a cynic on investment pieces. I often feel the term is reserved for designer items only, rather than a specific style or type of garment. There may be some validity in this but from an egalitarian perspective I'd rather work on a no name basis.





Herve Leger Zebra stripe dress £1,44o Net-A-Porter


Also are there varying degrees of investment when it comes to clothes? I'd guess that an investment wardrobe might reflect your income and be determined by that. My view is leaning towards a two tier approach, actually investment pieces that you will own for your lifetime. These will be big babies - i.e. a Chanel 2.55, a Herve Lerger dress or any item that you perceive as a to die for design wise - this will always be a personal choice and rightly so. Then the investment wardrobe, the five key pieces you buy for a season to work and work. I'm thinking for A/W this year I need a coat, bag, pair of shoes, skirt and wow top. That's it. The additional point would be that I must wear the said items to death, in the sense they will not languish in my wardrobe hidden by a pile of £14.99 garments.



It is getting the balance right - your style versus your income versus what you actually do! Combining the desired image and practical points can be a chore - hence the issue of frittering. I'm pretty good now at stepping away from that impulse little fritter, due in part to circumstances, but more importantly because in reality I don't really need it. I know I need to have a good functioning wardrobe but I want fab style and glamour too. Cue Vivienne Westwood - is it me or has she really upped her game lately? I love this grey jacket and think it ticks a few boxes regarding investment, stylish and wearable in all circumstances.


Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Grey Propaganda jacket £443 my-wardrobe.com

It works as an investment piece due to colour and cut. It reminds me of my Roger Vivier shoes in the sense the abstract cut of garment is pure Westwood and this distinction is what sets it apart. Happily despite its hefty price tag, it is still within reach with no fashion frittering and avoids the fashionista trend adoption look i.e. Balmain jacket - which is probably a pointless comparison as such an item is a)out of my price bracket and b) more to the point isn't me - truly I would look an idiot in one, it wouldn't suit.

Basically today's sermon suggests one is fine to twitter, but please refrain from a fritter and take your investment piece dream come true!

14 comments:

  1. Guilty as charged! I do way too much frittering, despite my frequent declarations to quit buying "junk food clothing." My most frequent form of frittering is finding an item I like (say, Banana Republic tee shirts) and then buying two in every color, listening to the lizard brain part of me that says I'll never find them again. I need to trust more that the really perfect items will always be out there and that I don't need to stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying not to fritter, I think it's especially hard around the end of sale times - those dresses in H&M/Zara reduced to 5 or 10 euros/pounds are especially hard to resist for me (Sometimes they are worth it and get alot of wear and sometimes they go to a charity shop with the labels still on) I try to check the colour, quality and cut are good - If so I buy because there is a place for bargain items if they are worn! (and I suppose charities benefit If I don't wear them!)
    LOVE that Viviene Westwood jacket BTW! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, I will buy my own pair of Louboutin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there-a very good post my dear, the Vivienne Westwood jacket is a must have-£36 per month, £9 per week over one year-you'll have it for at least a decade, so that will be 90p per week cost per wear-I say go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Chanel bag looks gorgeous. I've always wanted one. It really is better to have a few items that you will wear, than have a bunch on junk items that you don't want to be seen in more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree, investment pieces do last and are worth the saving up for, the thrill is much more walking out of Chanel then Topshop....but others are not worth it, Herve dresses for instance are cheaply made, unfortuntaly a friend also makes stuff out of same factory and not as exclusive as it seems.....totally spoils it as dreamt after the range : ((

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always tell people that they're better of with one WendyB piece than 25 H&M pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deju Pseu - easily done, I'm speaking as a reformed character.

    Everyonesaysdon't - I know isn't it the best! I really want one but they are selling like hotcakes.

    Kira - you and me both!

    Sharon-Rose - your math is spot on!

    Shopgirl28 - very true and really worth it.

    dukeandlarn- mmm very interesting, I like insider knowledge. It is often hard to get to bottom of everyone's factory processes. I'm not a Herve Leger person, I'd look dreadful in one but lots of peeps love them.

    Wendyb - I say the same too - you know I'm saving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want a Chanel bag sooo badly. Classically gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Fritter much more than I Twitter. I so want Roger Vivier shoes. They are on my "They must be mine" list and yet I have bought five pair of $100 shoes this summer and none of them would I love as much as the Vivier shoe. Bad Fritter!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate - I am a very guilty fritterer! I spend all my disposable income on the high street and I love getting a bargain! Do you think that age is a factor for the "investment piece"? I'm in my early 20s and I feel like I have years ahead to find the perfect black jacket and the bag I'll never throw away but only a few years when its ok to team floral leggings with a leopard print dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why does Vivienne Westwood always do it right? The eternal question in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The real tragedy is, Chanel bags are not good quality! I've had to have mine repaired 3 times. It hasn't held up nearly as well as a cheap bag by Nobody.

    And! My BFF lost a button off her Vivienne Westwood coat, and cannot get anyone to return her calls or email to Vivienne Westwood's customer service. She only wanted to know how to replace the button.

    The Moral is: just fritter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,

    First time i come across your blog, Love the way you post images, so lively, and creative,
    i have a collages inspiration blog and street style etc, if you wanna check out if you have some time,
    a bientot !

    Boubouteatime xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx