Thursday 23 July 2009

What I've learned about Swine Flu

1. The system in place for dealing with swine flu is actually quite rubbish. Okay given that it is a pandemic and the NHS couldn't deal with everyone that either has or suspects they have it, it is still a bit rubbish. You have two front line options, visit a website that tells you the symptoms or listen to a phone message via a 0800 number that tells you the symptoms. Basically we are in the realms of self diagnosis as the symptoms are quite broad. Then once you've self diagnosed yourself but still need to know what to do - as in can I get a tamiflu thing or do I just put up and shut up, you then re-phone your GP who has to call you back. You could be the 25th person in a panic that day so don't expect niceties or sympathy. The best you can hope for is are you alive, can you breath then stick with the misery until it passes.

2. Wear flat shoes - you get very dizzy and quite confused. Your balance isn't great, they don't really talk about this element of swine flu. I'm guessing if you are a pig then four legs are better than two.

3. Drink lots of fluid - really really drink tons of water or squash and my new friend vitamin water. Vitamin water is probably a pointless indulgence but it feels like a great substitute for tamiflu stuff and sympathy see 1.

4. Drink coke - this is particularly helpful for the tummy/bottom troubles you may encounter. If you have ever considered Alli diet pills then get swine flu first and then you will get over thinking about choosing Alli. Put it this way, if you saw SATC the movie and remember Charlotte's unfortunate incident, then swine flu can cause this sort of thing as does Alli. It is avoidable by sheer will and the skin of your teeth. Coke helps in the battle.

5. Aches and pains - your head hurts, your arms hurt, your legs hurt. To alleviate this you are recommended paracetamol. I say make like a pig, go round on all fours, it stops you falling over and takes your mind off the pain for a moment.

6. Rest - once you start it is hard to stop bed rest as the fatigue is quite chronic. It is worth showering and dressing in the morning just to make the effort and then get up now and again. It makes you feel human and less swine like.

7. Have water by your bed at night - you will cough a lot in the night because your throat will produce flem. In fact you will get a sore throat. The cough is the driest most pointless cough you have ever had.

8. Eat - you will actually eat like a pig. Your body needs calories to fight this virus and you won't lose your appetite. This is why they say it is a mild flu in most cases. Believe me it is not that mild an illneses, though I accept it is a milder form of flu and not as serious as avian flu, you feel like poo and if you are very unlucky you will smell like poo too.

9. Make a film - don't let anyone tell you you can't make a film when you've got swine flu.

19 comments:

  1. See I'm not sure if I have swine flu, but I only have a few symptoms like sneezing, runny nose and sore throat. Is that just a cold? How do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor poor you! I hope you're feeling better soon! By the way, the Tamiflu stuff only works if you get it immediately upon onset of symptoms (did that make sense?). Just get through your shoot and then you can collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i hope you feel better now. And that was a very informative post from you. And thanks for sharing it. Hope to see more of this. Have a great day. =D


    Summer
    A Writers Den
    The Brown Mestizo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there-oh, ditto most of these points (not number 9 though for me!) My cough was just soo badly irritating, for others and me and I just had to rest forever even when I got insanely bored!! I did eat too, my appetite did not wane at all and I tried to drink as much fluids as possible!! I also learnt paracetomol are your best friend, I tried beechams powders which did not work for me this time round, all they did was keep me awake and highlight the aches and pains, LOL!! I really hope you're overcoming this, hopefully now we've had it, it won't visit for a long time to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you and I feel your pain! I just had a seriously boring and uncomfortable week off work with the pig illness! i hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Get well soon! Lots Of Love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope ur feeling better soon. I have a stupid head cold but thats a lot better than flu.

    Also, coke? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel better! :)

    FM~FP~AF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds awful - I hope you are feeling a bit better now. At least you have the editing and viewing of your film to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, lady! What crappy timing. The swine flu sounds absolutely diabolical. Be well soon. And as a subsitute for coke, ginger beer is great (the fiery stuff, mind). Takes the edge off nausea, clears the sinuses, tastes great. What's not to love? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest MDS - thanks for this information, beats an NHS helpline! I would like to tell you that Alli are 60mg and the ones you get from the Dr are 120mg, I have been on them for 2 months and haven't lost an ounce nor have I had any of these symptoms that everyone else seems to get, if anything, have on occassion been constipated - they are a load of shit - seriously. I took them as a last resort as have been putting on weight lately for no reason. Doctor says middle aged spread which is real helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Get better soon, darling!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm going to use the expression "bottom troubles" in the future, when Gigi the dog gets one of her regular cases of "explosive diarrhea." It sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, beautiful, what a horrible time you're having. And, seemingly poo-centric. Hope you're on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feel better soon Kate!

    Helene

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - I thought you were joking about the swine flu (how, I don't know). This is very valuable info and I'm so glad to know you are on the mend. I only hope that, if you can eat nothing else without tummy troubles, that Twiglets will sit well! Kxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds well and truly grim. Just read about another blogger who has it here:

    http://notesfromthefrugaltrenches.com/2009/07/22/that-swine/

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh feel better soon. my friend had the swine flu earlier and she was down for the count... poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It thought I had swine flu but it was actually hayfever with a bad sinus problem.

    Where ever I go I always carry my anti-bacterial gel, unworn surgical mask (I have tonnes at home, brought by my aunt from HK) and plenty packets of tissues hehehe.

    Be safe, peace.

    K x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx