Wednesday 23 September 2009

Say what LFW 25 years ago!

I realised with shock how many years ago the first London Fashion Week was when I put on an outfit on Monday to go shopping at Tesco. It was sunny and I'd been to Paris, my standards were high that day! It was when I saw myself in the mirror that the whole look reminded me of my first ever fashion show week - the black with colour and a slogan send me reeling.


Composed with petit garcon (who really does scoot round Tesco and anywhere he can) wearing bargain See by Chloe top with Reiss skirt, H&M leggings and LK Bennett quilted ballet flats.

And over to me at a young age wearing PX for LFW 1984! Basically the same principle, coloured motif top with black and flats.

I wasn't as young as Tavi but I was a young 'un. I don't know why the shot was in black and white. I remember the sweat top was a pale green with red suede PX on the back. I wonder what happened to them. The shows to model were Vivienne Westwood, Betty Jackson and Jasper Conran and I got PX. Still a very nice Sally Brampton gave me some good advice and I dutifully went to university with my eyes on fashion journalism not prancing on catwalks. I did make enough money to get me through uni and have some spare change though.




I had to snap the photograph with my blackberry as I haven't got a scanner at home. Someone did my hair and make up very nicely which you can't really tell but I do remember how nice it was to be made up. I still love dressing up and am glad I haven't lost my appetite for fashion.

Mind you my best accessory now is my little boy not my backside as it was then! I couldn't wear leggings without something over the top these days....

27 comments:

  1. Blackberry photo or not, you look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post - you both look very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures and the new Chloe top will be very versatile for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the old pic! You look amazing in it and today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great read and I love your old photo! You look really great today too of course: I am so stealing your Chloe tee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those old pics, you look great. Really loving the Chloe top and colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great photos! Thanks for showing us. I think you look gorgeous in your new chloe top xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fab pictures - and I went to TK Maxx looking for that top!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wunderful pics. i love the yellow shirt with the black skirt

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a special unique and priceless accessory you have there. He will get better with time and NEVER go out of style.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to peer into your past!

    ReplyDelete
  12. At my age I am supposed to avoid Slogan tops, but it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look so cute and cool and your petit garcon is the most fun and sweet thing in the planet!
    I love how he loves to pose!! I love kids and your even more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous photos, darling! You both look adorable!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, you haven't changed a bit! Love seeing this old shot, but I'm also digging your new outfit. Did you pull those leggings over your heel or did they come as stirrups? xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Top Bird - I just pull them over my foot/under my heel. I'm actually quite proud of this fact as last summer a young teenage French girl asked me on the tube where I'd got my leggings from. I explained what I did - she was with her mum and dad and even younger sister, they were all impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the blast from the past! I used to wear leggings back then too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You and petit garcon look like some kind of kooky superhero duo. Loving his hip-hop artist arms-crossed pose. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol adorable!! I love that he is wearing a helmet!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the blog. you have great style!!!
    Tomorrow x
    www.inthebedroommirror.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous then and now! Love these photos. You look great in that yellow T.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great memory post, and a glance into your past is such fun! Any more modeling pics lying round?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You actually look very much like a young Helen Mirren!

    I'm just trying to go through your old posts to find out the sewing book you recommended :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx