Tuesday 2 November 2010

Blown away

When Balenciaga wrote to me to tell me they enjoyed reading my blog, I actually snorted my green tea out in shock. Then what followed was a dialogue along the lines of Elvis's Suspicious Minds, all on my part of course. After years of D list courting (no offence but it is true) suddenly it was a shock to find the A list muscling in. After my initial scepticism, the glow of internal demons raised their ugly heads and eventually the bad voice won! I was hardly bargaining directly with Nicholas Ghesquiere, but my love of Christobel Balenciaga was too much temptation to resist.

Let's not forget Balenciaga was self taught and Oscar de la Renta, Andre Courreges, Emanuel Ungero and Givenchy all worked as designers for him. The V&A published a wonderful book on his work.

The moment I crumbled to the seduction of a big house, I thought I would ease my conscience by giving away the perfume spray winging its way over from Paris as a Christmas present.

Of course I was surprised by not one but two perfume bottles. One, the traditional Balenciaga Paris perfume bottle, the other the new modern purse spray.







Then I couldn't resist a cheeky spray from the perfume bottle and I was completely shocked ...actually blown away. I have spent the last seven years trying to find a scent I loved. I cannot list the many I've gone through to know avail. It is mainly because I have an aversion to patchouli which is a good note but is usually too over powering for my taste. I also love a deep woody smell which means I mainly 'borrow' Mr MDS's selction as men's cologne tends to have more depth. I thoroughly enjoyed Paul Smith's Rose which was given to me and I'll get another one for when I have a rose moment. But from now on Balenciaga Paris is my scent. I love it. It is perfect. What delighted me the most was the smell of violet. When I've got a few spare pence I treat myself to Diptyque's Violette candle when it is in stock, it is hard to get.

Now I can spray and smell violet everyday. But that isn't the full story to this perfume. After a while the heady but light smell of violet subsides and you get a really woody or some would say earthy note (I have no technical perfume knowledge) which is my second favourite aspect of any perfume. The perfume spray is for the handbag as you do need a top up it up, as the fragrance is so subtle. The modern design of the spray is to compliment Balenciaga's recent show. It is typical of Ghesquiere's balance of the old and the new. The weight of the spray is quite heavy but it adds a comforting weight to the handbag and is probably a useful self defence weapon too. Guess what the thought of Christmas present generosity has taken a taxi.

19 comments:

  1. Thrilled for you I love Balenciaga xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's what you call a freebie.
    Balenciaga is just confirming what the rest of us know, your blog rocks! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fabulous - this sounds like just my type of fragrance, I love violets but also don't like a perfume to be too sweet. I will have to try this out x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my dear-how wonderful indeed for Balenciaga to have courted you plus receiving the perfect fragrance too, it sounds gorgeous indeed!

    Yes, Frock me was lovely, as you sometimes work Sundays I thought it might be too much to get a meet in again-we will get together some time soon I'm sure, lol!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely, must have a whiff of that. What an honour to be contacted by Balenciaga, you should be very proud! e xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift! I can't think of anyone that deserves it more, especially now that you've revealed it's such a perfect scent for you. Clearly it was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a lovely fragrance. Congratulations on your Balenciaga blog love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love violets, will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice ! (And I adore your blog !)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is indeed the A-list! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kate, that's brilliant to be given something you really want to wear. It's so hard finding the right perfume.

    I've worn Must de Cartier for years and have recently discovered Le Labo at Liberty which make amazing scents. I shall certainly be checking out Balenciaga. There are so many new ones I never know which ones to try and you leave a department store not knowing which is which xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful, that is great news. Double whammy. Great brand and beautiful perfume to boot. Made for a very happy day I am sure. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is so cool. It sounds like you and Balenciaga were destined to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not surprised they sent you a gift - you deserve it for such a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Check you out! Soon you will be hobnobbing with the big wigs and leaving us only with the scent of woody violets....
    Congrats MDS!!! x x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know how I love fragrance so I'm going to be looking out for this the next time I'm in Holt Renfrew.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Waceystyle - hahaha methink not! If they sent me clothes that would be big time!! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bottle is a bit heavy but that's what I love about it. It feels so nice in the hand! I love the way the lid clicks on too...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx