Wednesday 3 November 2010

Something I threw on...

Autumnal air challenges the style stakes like no other time. One minute it is freezing the next sunny, thrown in a quick downpour, then back to chilly and you realise why November is a fashion forecast nightmare.

Personally I think the trench coat is the answer as outerwear. It keeps the rain and the wind out, and when it is sunny you can unbutton it and it doesn't sloppy. Guess what - I haven't got one! This year I bought a longed for item a pea jacket so I think next year it is the trench coat. When I buy these items I go large and buy it for ever, so that usually means designer.

And who better or rather more fitting than Burberry for a trench coat. Now I've documented my reasons for staying away from Burberry before so I won't bore you with one of my rants. However I would struggle not to buy a trench from them as the last forever piece in my wardrobe.

I'm always drawn to the black ones more than a camel/ light beige.




Burberry Shower-proof gabardine trench coat £595 Net-A-Porter

But of course this is make do land not la la land so what does the lovely high street have to offer?
Uniqlo which is handily online as well as expanding its presence in the UK has a trench on offer for £59.99 in dark grey or black.

And Topshop have the classic belted trench for £75




14 comments:

  1. I love the Uniglo one I like the colour too ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Uniqlo one is really nice. I don't often see decent coats in grey so that's a very good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe a vintage Burberry is the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Aquascutum is underappreciated in this area - their coats are every bit as good as Burberry. Worth considering, and if you go vintage as Sal says it would cost even less.

    http://www.johnlewis.com/152557/Style.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in my beige Burberry trench in the winter. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'm with you there. Except mine has to be pink or purple just to brighten my day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a beige Burberry Prorsum trench coat for 20p at a jumble sale last year but hated myself in it and flogged it on eBay. Of all of them I like the Uniqlo, the dark grey colour's something totally different. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there-Just love the Burberry one, in black it is so much flattering! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. On blonds do you think the beige or the black is better? I have always wanted the beige one. But my hunch that black is a better choice. And, yeah, I want the Burberry one.;-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Uniglo one. It's a great shop. I've bought a few bits online as Christmas presents before xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a mental aversion to trenches as I only have to wear mine when the weather is absolutely dreadful so I just cant like them no matter how hard I try. Maybe if I had a Burberry one (I am surprised you let them back on the blog) I would feel differently! I like the idea of a navy one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gray would be an interesting color to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have a trench either, yet every season I think the same thing. Must buy one. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fuck Burberry! Nearly all of it is made in China these days. There's nothing "heritage" about it anymore.

    And it would be different-- NOT better, i might add, but just different-- ok, maybe a little less despicable-- if their move to China meant a general lowering of retail cost, but NO!!!! of course not! Their shit is actually MORE expensive than it was when it was made in England by unionized workers who were decently paid and had some sense of connection to the fruit of their labors and not completely and utterly exploited in a faraway country where it's apparently ok to treat people like machines and pay them shit.

    wankers. and now fucking Barbour is at it to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx