Friday 12 November 2010

The Style Challenge

For the next year I'm going large with the longest style challenge I've undertaken. It is my birthday next week so instead of saddling myself with a new years resolution which involved deprivation, I decided to set a year's style challenge.

Based on the X Factor I put 4 categories into a hat

Designer
High Street
Secondhand
Home made

I didn't have a mentor in mind but the words of my favourite dispenser of fashion wit, namely Diana Veerland and also my default advisor Joan Collins were rolling around in my head so I was very happy when I got the designer category.* I would have been equally happy with home made as there is a particular dress with some Liberty print material I am dying to make. I might count that in or is it cheating? I'm sure Liberty counts as designer.

The rational of a category is to focus you in one area and not allow you too much choice. The beauty of the designer category is the price limits ones options but I can look on ebay, charity shops and car boots as well as the Outnet and others.

I think not being able to buy anything on the high street will stop me buying fast fashion or trend fixes. I can be quite a magpie at times.

My aim is only to buy things I truly love and can pay cash for. No more credit card nonsense. Last year I managed about 16 weeks of no shopping which greatly helped towards paying back my master's loan and as I have another 15 months to go on paying it all back I want to go all out.

If I didn't work as a stylist I would go cold turkey but it might stress me out! Today was the last day of freedom and from next week I'm on the challenge... it will be interesting and I'm determined to 'nail it'. I will own this category!


* The only real elegance is in the mind; if you've got that, the rest really comes from it. Diana Veerland & If life throws you a lemon - make lemonade. Joan Collins

20 comments:

  1. I really love your challenges Kate, looking forwards to seeing how you do, I am definately with you on this one since it happens to be designer, though I cant resist a bit of Zara at the moment (which is actually your fault for getting me addicted to it).

    Although to be truely x-factor you should have had their categories such as big band, michael jackson, elton john - now that is a style challenge i sure would like to see you in LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodluck, can't wait to see how you get on! PS. my dress arrived today and it's fabulous, fits great to so big thanks to both you and my987wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing your selections for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am excited to see how you get on with it. Are you setting yourself a shopping budget or is it just a case of thinking hard before you buy something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex - good question. I will only buy within my budget but thinking hard will be a factor too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 16 weeks! wow I applaud you...but looking to challenge you on that myself...due to my freelance graphic designer hat is getting tighter and tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great plan, can't wait to see how you go about it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Early Birthday, Make Do. I love this challenge, but alas, can't partake. My style mode is on "auto pilot" these days. I can barely rememember to put on earrings! Good luck and I can't wait to read the results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This, I can't wait to see! I'm along for the ride, in principle. But that's because (from my own imaginary hat) I picked "handmade".

    And happy almost bday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this challenge, as always I am sure you will nail it xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my dear-look forward to seeing your buys under Designer, hope you manage to thrift some great pieces too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore this challenge. I'm not sure if I could do it, though. All my categories would probably have to say "34th Street." I would try "home made" if it weren't for the five knitting/sewing/rug hooking things gathering dust in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wooo you got the designer category, brilliant. I am looking forward to watching this challenge unfold. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phew, I think designer promises much more happiness than (more) highstreet pieces. Very curious which pieces you'll pick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Kate, wise words "only buy things I truly love" I am going to try that one, but I will find it hard. Hope you're good xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A YEAR! quick write yourself a six month clause. Not that I don't think you can do it but a year is a long time.
    Happy Early Birthday (make sure to ask the Birthday fairy for an account at Net-a-porter).

    ReplyDelete
  17. 16 weeks! OMG you are my idol, however did you do it?? Seriously, I really need to know. I have just returned from 4 weeks in the UK where I discovered all sorts of fabulous treasures albeit on plastic!!...ted baker, LK Bennett, Kurt Geiger (I'm so in love) and most ship to Australia for a relatively low cost. I'm doomed!! Help...LOL
    MFSxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That would be my category - if I had a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent idea Scorpio! Now I want to see delineation - is Joseph high street?Rules please. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hammie - good point one I have ruminated over myself. In the end I decided it had to do with showing a collection then topshop unique sprung to mind so I thought maybe designer was high end retailing too.
    Harrods count it in their designer collection so I saying yes Joseph is in.

    I'm discounting topshop unique - sorry but...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx